Documentation of StatCurrentSolve (Static Current Conduction)

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Heiko
Antispam: Yes

Documentation of StatCurrentSolve (Static Current Conduction)

Post by Heiko »

Hi everybody,

the Elmer models Manual describes the static current conduction module, and I have used the model to simulate current flow successfully so far, using the solver to solve the poisson equation
poisson_eq.png
poisson_eq.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 212 times
(document equation 17.7)
However, the manual states that "the vectorized and multithreaded version of the solver can also be used to handle a generalized equation":
equ.png
equ.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 212 times
However, I am not sure how to set up the sif files (mostly materials and boundary conditions) for this, because the manual does not say how to specify e.g. the relative permittivity of a material for this, or what exactly the solver expects in terms of boundary conditions. Also, I am not clear on how to setup the solver to solve this generalized equation instead of the poisson equation it solves by default. I think overall I am missing some documentation on how to specify the fields that this generalized equation needs in addition to the poisson equation (that is permittivity), what boundary conditions are expected (I assume time variant) and which keyword triggers the solver to solve for this generalized equation. I would appreciate if anybody could point me to documentation (or if really necessary source code) where I could understand this? While the documentation for the poisson equation based stat current solver is very clear to me, the use of the generalized equation is only mentioned in one half-sentence and a bit hard to understand.

Thank you!
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Documentation of StatCurrentSolve (Static Current Conduction)

Post by raback »

Hi

These are additional keywords:

Code: Select all

Simulation :: Permittivity of Vacuum = Real 
Material i :: Relative Permittivity = Real 
The term is only considered for transient problems.

The BCs are not altered. However, one should note that the r.h.s. to be modelled should include the weak form of the second term too.

-Peter