Can Elmer determine residual magnetisation

General discussion about Elmer
Nick_99
Antispam: Yes

Can Elmer determine residual magnetisation

Post by Nick_99 »

Hi all,

I've been wanting to find out if Elmer has a certain capability but have not had any luck searching for it on the web.

Lets say I have the model seen in this image:

Lets now make some assumptions:
  • I pass a known current through the copper coil (say 5kA)
  • The core is made of a material that can be magnetised
  • Assume I have the relevant material properties for the core
With the above information, is it possible for Elmer to tell me the permanent magnetisation that has been imposed onto the core from the copper coil? In other words, once the current through the coil is zero, can Elmer tell me the remaining magnetic field?

Ultimately, I would like to make a plot for the core that looks similar to the top right quadrant in the image below.

Thanks,
Nick
raback
Site Admin

Re: Can Elmer determine residual magnetisation

Post by raback »

Hi Nick

Do you require a hysteresis model. To my knowledge there is only the Zirka model that is available only in 2D. Hysteresis is not trivial.

Or would you be happy just use the material law that goes through origin from "a" to "b" using a B/H curve? Then you would map "b" to "c" using some function. I guess such a function could be added to the postprocessing rather easily?

-Peter
Nick_99

Re: Can Elmer determine residual magnetisation

Post by Nick_99 »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to look into the Zirka model and I'll get back to you (I see Elmer supports it too!!!)! Your thoughts on adding a function to the post processor are brilliant! I didn't think of that.

Thanks again,
Nick.