Ferrofluid Modelling

The graphical user interface of Elmer
cyasing17
Antispam: Yes

Ferrofluid Modelling

Post by cyasing17 »

Since ferrofluid is a non-Newtonian magnetic fluid, I was wondering if it was possible to do a Multiphysics simulation here in ElmerGUI of a ferrofluid interacting with water and solid. Due to the movements of the ferrofluid, there will be changing magnetic fields around it, which I want to capture using a coil. I am new to the software, so I wanted to know if such a simulation is possible with it.

Basically, it will be multiphase flow between Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids (air-water, water-ferrofluid, maybe air-ferrofluid as well to account for any such interaction potentially happens due to movements). Then a fluid-solid interaction needs to be coupled (the ferrofluid will be in a half-open solid structure). Finally, the Electromagnetic solver needs to be added for the coil.

I know it is a lot, but if not with ElmerGUI, can this system be programmed using ElmerSolver?
kevinarden

Re: Ferrofluid Modelling

Post by kevinarden »

Search this forum for ferrofluid several post are available
cyasing17

Post by cyasing17 »

@kevinarden I had checked before asking the question. I asked because I am not sure of whether Elmer can help simulate this specific setup or not, especially since there are multiple elements at play here.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Everything thing you list sounds possible in ElmerSolver. ElmerGui is just a graphical interface to build a sif file. It would be difficult to build this sif file with Gui. The usual approach is not to try and do the final solution in one go. Build the physical mesh model. Solve for one the basic physics equations, work out the model and sif for any issues. Then add additional solvers, loadS, and conditions in steps. If you run into problems post your specific mesh, sif, and questions.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Yes, I would think the "ferro" part Elmer can more or less cover. However, there can be challenges in the multiphase part that may be trickier. Is the air to be treated as a separate fluid etc. That would be difficult. -Peter