2D (triangular) Mesh generator with equal triangles

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
saxonfahrer

2D (triangular) Mesh generator with equal triangles

Post by saxonfahrer »

Hi,
to create a model i need a special trick: i want to distribute points on a non-symmetric plane surface A. Then i want to use these points as fixed points of this plane surface and investigate the bending of a thin plate with the surface A.

My problem: How to distribute this points. I started with using gmsh (and using the nodes as my support points). But i need this points to be distributed as equal as possible. So the distance of a point to it's nearest neighbour should be in a tight range (e.g. nominal distance is 5mm, then allowed distance is 4.5 till 5.5 mm).

May be one of you no's a mesh-generator or a meshing algorithm which creates nearly equal traingles (with nearly equal angles).

This would be really helpfull.

Thank you!!

Best regards
mzenker

Re: 2D (triangular) Mesh generator with equal triangles

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I don't have a solution to your problem, but maybe you can influence gmsh's meshing algorithm in order to do what you want. Did you try to post this question at the gmsh mailing list gmsh@geuz.org (see http://www.geuz.org/mailman/listinfo/gmsh)?

Matthias
saxonfahrer

Post by saxonfahrer »

I do not post this question in gmsh-mailing list - but this is a good idea. I will do this immideiatly.
For testing i played around with the meshing parameters in gmsh and the mesh (distribution of the nodes) becomes better (regarding my problem) - but it was not sufficient (unfortunatly).
pamakela

Post by pamakela »

Hi,

I have noticed a behaviour in Gmsh which may be of use in this situation. If you export from a CAD package in Iges format, gmsh will mesh finer the closer you get to some edges. But if you instead export in STEP format, gmsh treats the geometry differently and will produce far more uniform sized triangles.

Another approach would be to triangulate a 2D plane in any 3D software, like Maya, Blender, etc. Then slice the 2D triangulated mesh with any shapes you require. Exporting in STL format in this case will work. I've tried triangulating in Alias studiotools and the exported STL mesh worked fine in a flow simulation.