ParaView Unable to run in Elmer GUI

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
ARG123
Antispam: Yes

ParaView Unable to run in Elmer GUI

Post by ARG123 »

Hello,
Just got started with ElmerGUI. Downloaded the latest version. Also downloaded and installed ParaView-5.11.0-Windows-Python3.9-msvc-2017-AMD64. Installed both perfectly without any issues. On ElmerGUI when I click Run > StartParaView , the bottom left corner shows Unable to start ParaView. How do I get it to run ? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Much!

Best
ARG
kevinarden

Re: ParaView Unable to run in Elmer GUI

Post by kevinarden »

The path to the paraview commend has to be in your path variable. ElmerGUI just sends the command paraview to a command window.
You do not have to start paraview from ElmerGUI.
ARG123

Post by ARG123 »

I followed the exact steps as mentioned in the Elmer getting started guide and set the path in the settings > editing the environment variable such that Elmer is the first on the list and ParaView is second. And I checked the Path on the environment variables, it shows Elmer first followed by a semicolon and ParaView after that Have I missed something?
Also I can use ParaView by itself separately but cannot run it with ElmerGUI.

Appreciate your help Kevinarden!

Thanks Much!

Best
ARG
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Well ElmerGUI just sends the command paraview to a cmd window. Can you open a cmd window and type paraview and it runs? Cany you open a cmd window and type ElmerGUI and it runs?
ARG123

Post by ARG123 »

Yeah. I tried that. cmd prompt does open ParaView and ElmerGUI.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

When you open ElmerGUI in a command prompt, that window shows the commands that the GUI runs. Start ElmerGUI from a command prompt, then try to start paraview from the GUI and see what the messages are in the ElmerGUI command prompt window are.
ARG123

Post by ARG123 »

Thanks Kevinarden I got it to work. Started ElmerGUI using command prompt and then hit Run > Start ParaView and it was up and running.
Genuinely appreciate your help!

Thanks Again!

Best
ARG
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

So just to summarize,
1) if you start ElmerGUI from a command prompt, then Run->Start Paraview works.
2) If you start ElmerGUI by clicking on the desktop icon, then Run->Start Paraview doesn't work.

Which version of Windows are you running, Windows 10 or Windows 11?

If you right click on the ElmerGUI desktop icon, and select 'Run as administrator' to start up ElmerGUI, and click on Yes when the yellow box comes up with 'Do you want to allow....', does Run->Start Paraview work?

Thanks, Rich.