Laser absorption in lens and thermo-elastic analysis

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Jonas231
Antispam: Yes

Laser absorption in lens and thermo-elastic analysis

Post by Jonas231 »

Hello,
I am a beginning user of Elmer and would like to apply fem for thermo-mechanical analysis.

A laser beam shall hit a glass volume (or several ones, lenses). Intensity distribution will be determined in a raytracing program. In this case a 3d temperature profile would result and the body (lens) would be deformed. I am wondering how to simulate this deformation and how to setup the initial temperature distribution (volume heating source) for the fem simulation. Say I know the initial energy / temperatue of the laser beam for each node, how do I input it in elmer? The body is a step or iges file.

Has anyone here experience with this kind of thermo-elastical fem analysis? Do you know a close example from which to learn?

Regards,
Jonas
Rich_B

Re: Laser absorption in lens and thermo-elastic analysis

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

As a new user of Elmer, be sure to review the GetStartedElmer.pdf document, it is helpful for Linux users as well as Windows users.

https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/

For your case, you may want to look in the ElmerTutorials-nonGUI.pdf document for the tutorial 'Thermal actuator driven with
electrostatic currents'. This tutorial uses StatCurrentSolve, HeatSolve, and StressSolve and calculates thermally induced displacement and stress. You would not need to use StatCurrentSolve, so that could be removed.

If you would like to start with a simple geometry, look in the ElmerTutorials.pdf for the tutorial 'Magnetic field induced by harmonic
current in a wire'. This tutorial uses a 3D wire model, with two concentric bodies. Apply the same glass material to both bodies. Set the outermost boundary to room temperature, so there will be a sink for the heat.

For a first attempt, apply different initial temperature conditions to the two bodies. Start with the outer body at room temperature, and the inner wire body at an elevated temperature as the heat source.

For a second attempt, instead of applying different initial temperatures, set both bodies to room temperature and apply a body heat source to just the inner wire body.

It always helps if you have a simple model that you can post, preferably a complete solution, with geometry and a sif file.

Rich.
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

Attached is an example using a body force to heat the inner wire using a pulsed approach.
wire-model.png
wire-model.png (162.7 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Rich.
Attachments
body-force.7z
(84.74 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

and here are some of the results of the simulation.

Rich.
body-force-von-mises.png
body-force-von-mises.png (174.67 KiB) Viewed 515 times
body-force-temp.png
body-force-temp.png (142.62 KiB) Viewed 515 times
body-force-temp.mp4
(198.92 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

and if instead of body force you wanted to specify a temperature for each node then instead of a body force load you would write a boundary condition to target a node or nodes such as

Boundary Condition 3
Name = "Target Nodes"
Target Nodes(4) = 895 897 899 901
Temperature = 350.0
End

Example sif attached.
case2.sif
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Jonas231

Post by Jonas231 »

Thank you very much for these detailed and very helpful answers. Sorry also about my late reply. I will follow your guides in my longterm project and keep you informed on my progress here.
I plan to use pyelmer for setting up the sif.