How to create Volume group from STL file of assembly in Salome

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
tryphena
Antispam: Yes

How to create Volume group from STL file of assembly in Salome

Post by tryphena »

Hello,
I have created an STL file of simple assembly of an outer cylindrical shell and an inner core in Blender 3D software. Then I imported it into Salome. Salome seems not to be able to recognize there are two objects. I tried to build solid from the STL file. But it can only generate the outer shell. I could not create volume groups for the inner core. Anyone knows how? Thank you.

Regards,
Tryphena
Attachments
Shell and Core
Shell and Core
question.PNG (66.49 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Only Shell left after building solid
Only Shell left after building solid
question2.PNG (70.51 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
kevinarden

Re: How to create Volume group from STL file of assembly in Salome

Post by kevinarden »

This is straightforward to do directly in Salome in is not worth starting in Blender. At the top switch to the geometry module. Use the create primative to create cylinders, blocks, rectangles, cones, torus, etc. Use the Boolean to partition, cut, join, etc. and transform to move, rotate, position. It starts with the solid geometry necessary for volume meshing, although you can extract surfaces, or create surfaces for 2D meshes. There is a salome tutorial pdf on their website.
tryphena

Post by tryphena »

Hi Kevinarden,
I need blender to create more complicated geometries. I just tried simple cases first to test out the Salome platform. And as I could not run linear elasticity solver by the elmer plugin.
tryphena

Post by tryphena »

As kevinarden says, ELMER GUI shows the names of the volume groups but does not display them well in the graph. But it does not affect the solution.
Attachments
result1.JPG
(68.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
body2.JPG
(122.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
body1.JPG
(139.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

This is because ElmerGUI uses the boundary surface associated with the body to display the body. However, it is not necessary in every case to have a boundary surface directly related to each body. In this case the end cap boundary surface are associated with both bodies. There is no boundary between the inner and out surface, and none is required by the solver since the share nodes. However, ElmerGUI does not know how to handle these cases, it assumes each body has a boundary surface, and uses the boundary surfaces to display the body.

This apparently does not occur often, since this is only the second case I have come across.