RF Coil Design

General discussion about Elmer
emells99
Antispam: Yes

RF Coil Design

Post by emells99 »

Hey all, I'm a student working on designing and building RF coils for MRI. I know Elmer doesn't have a dedicated RF module, but I am hoping between the circuit and EM solvers I can put something together. I have previously built this basic surface coil in the CST student suite:

CST is obviously great for this kind of stuff, but the student package is majorly limited and I wouldn't be able to build a larger model, so I was looking at Elmer. I've been reading through the documentation and am trying to figure out how I would build a coil like the one above as a sort of first test/comparison. All the blue lumped elements in this are capacitors, while the red port is a 1V source which I can excite with different frequencies with the goal of finding the magnetic field and S-parameters of the coil. My question is, does anyone know how to connect different pieces of geometry with circuit elements, or could anyone direct me to a resource/specific subset of the documentation where there is more information on how to do this?
Last edited by emells99 on 21 Jul 2021, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
raback
Site Admin

Re: RF Coil Design

Post by raback »

Hi

A good source for the circuits could be the presentation by Eelis below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKiZJa3RU8

Slides for that are available at (the 5th presentation):
https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/webinar/

There are also plenty of test cases for the circuits.

It is pretty cumbersome to write the circuits by hand. There is some ongoing developments to enable easier and less error-prone creation of circuits. Maybe this could be synergetic with your needs.

-Peter
emells99

Re: RF Coil Design

Post by emells99 »

Thank you! I'll definitely check those out.