could not apply boundary condition on face groups

The graphical user interface of Elmer
tryphena
Antispam: Yes

could not apply boundary condition on face groups

Post by tryphena »

Hello,
I tried to do some simple test on Salome-Elmer. I could not fully use the Elmer plugin in Salome yet. Therefore, I export the mesh file to Elmer GUI for simulation.
I originally created face groups in Salome. Elmer recognizes the face groups as bodies, not boundaries. I could not apply boundary conditions to the faces. Does anyone have any clue on this? Thank you very much.
Attachments
plate1.JPG
(52.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
plate2.JPG
(53.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
plate3.JPG
(135.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Re: could not apply boundary condition on face groups

Post by kevinarden »

It looks like there are no volume elements and therefore Elmer takes the face elements as bodies. Can you post the the mesh.header file?
tryphena

Post by tryphena »

Hi Kevinarden,
Please check the attachments. Thanks.
Attachments
plate_2.unv
(111.26 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
mesh.header
(34 Bytes) Downloaded 192 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

No volume elements only triangles (type 303) and edge elements (type 202). So elmer translation takes the triangles as bodies and the edge elements as boundaries.
tryphena

Post by tryphena »

Hmm,I have imported stl to salome, and mesh there. And export it to elmer. Is something wrong in this approach? Do I need to do some operation in salome? Thanks....
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

I guess you have meshed only the boundaries, or at least saved only the boundaries. Elmer would like to have the 3D entities meshed too.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

A stl file is only a surface not a solid, therefore you will get surface elements. Elmer will take the surface elements as bodies not boundaries unless there are volume elements included. To get volume elements you would need a solid in salome, not a surface.
tryphena

Post by tryphena »

kevinarden wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 03:36 A stl file is only a surface not a solid, therefore you will get surface elements. Elmer will take the surface elements as bodies not boundaries unless there are volume elements included. To get volume elements you would need a solid in salome, not a surface.
I have figured it out. Salome can build solid from STL file in geometry module. Then everything works fine. Thank you.