[Solved] ElmerGUI 1st tutorial

The graphical user interface of Elmer
ScientistRenzo
Antispam: Yes

[Solved] ElmerGUI 1st tutorial

Post by ScientistRenzo »

I followed "ElmerGUI 1st tutorial - Temperature distribution of a solid object" successfully then I tried repeating the project with changes.

Instead of applying the boundary condition to the three joined boundaries (the insides of the holes),
I applied the boundary condition to the entire body and ElmerVTK presented identical results. This surprised me. I have questions.

First question, is this temperature graph displaying the "limit temperature", in other words, the steady state of the body as .01 Joule is applied everywhere in the body?

Second question, I repeated this temperature study on a small rectangle that measures 1 µm x 1 µm x 10 µm.
ElmerVTK showed the entire object was between 273 and 273.00x, the temperature of the boundary condition applied to the entire boundary (outer surface). This surprised me. I increased the heat source from .01 to 1000, and discovered no change.

Again, I like to ask questions while I work, so I will look into this, while I appreciate being enlightened.

Thank you so much!
Last edited by ScientistRenzo on 17 Mar 2021, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
ScientistRenzo

Re: ElmerGUI 1st tutorial

Post by ScientistRenzo »

When I make changes in the Object Browser such as Boundary Condition Temperature, and then I generate (the new .sif file), save the project, start solver, and finally run ElmerVTK, I noticed the postprocessing .vtu file does not update. I see the old data, from a previous solve.

Also, I'm seeing 5 iteration steps when I start solver, instead of 1. I'm not sure what I changed.
kevinarden

Re: [Solved] ElmerGUI 1st tutorial

Post by kevinarden »

would have to see the sif file
raback
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] ElmerGUI 1st tutorial

Post by raback »

The boundary conditions had dropped off making the system have no solution. Hence convergence was never attained. -Peter