Hypermesh mesh format that can be imported into Elmer

The graphical user interface of Elmer
granzer
Antispam: Yes

Hypermesh mesh format that can be imported into Elmer

Post by granzer »

Hello,
Is there any way to import mesh generated in Hypermesh to be imported into Elmer.

Best Regards,
-Mandeep
raback
Site Admin

Re: Hypermesh mesh format that can be imported into Elmer

Post by raback »

People have use UNV (universal mesh format) with success. -Peter
granzer

Post by granzer »

Hello Mr.Peter,
Thank you for the reply. I am not able (or atleast haven't found it yet) to export in .unv format from HM. Do you know how to export .unv from Hyperemesh?.

Best Regards,
Mandeep
granzer

Post by granzer »

I did find a method of exporting from HM in the .unv format. This requires the use of templates in HM. Using templates to export in various format is explained here: https://code-aster-windows.com/2018/02/ ... ment-17720.
In the comments section of the above site, a comment by "Daniel Oliveira" explains how to export in .unv format particularly. He has explained it in his site: https://www.opencae.com.br/artigos/82-h ... aster.html.
Apparently .unv formats full name is IDEASUNV....so its sometimes referred to as IDEAS format too. In HM we have to used the ideas template in the 'ideas' template folder to export as .unv.

One could also export the mesh in abacus format (.inp format) and use Elmer grid to convert it to Elmer suitable mesh : http://www.elmerfem.org/blog/preprocess ... th-elmer/
Note: I have found that .inp can be opened directly in Elmer, but can be problematic sometime so better to convert it to other format.
Last edited by granzer on 28 Feb 2021, 10:33, edited 3 times in total.
granzer

Post by granzer »

Exporting in .unv format works to get the mesh from HM to Elmer but all the bodies are clumped under a single body in Elmer.
I had created 3 separate bodies in in HM, but exporting it as .unv put all 3 bodies under a single body in Elmer. Any ideas on how to separate the bodies in Elmer?
granzer

Post by granzer »

Exporting the mesh from HM in the .inp (ie Abacus) format and converting the .inp to *mesh (Elmer mesh) does gives all the separate bodies in Elmer, but the body names dosnt seem be connected to mesh. i.e. selecting a body from under the 'Body' tree dosnt select the corresponding mesh body (so the mesh for all the different bodies are present and can be seen but they are not connected to their body name under 'Body' tree. For my mesh, only one body under the 'Body' tree seem to be connect to the mesh...all other bodies name seem to be empty and selecting them doesn't select the mesh body .
granzer

Post by granzer »

I am having the same problem of body name under 'Body" tree not being connected to the mesh body in :viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4086&p=24167#p24167. The zipped folder at that link contains the mesh in .mesh.* format. Can someone please load this mesh in Elmer and confirm if the 'coil' body can be selected by selecting its name under 'Body" tree?
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Could you provide a minimal example of the .UNV file having this problem.

Parsers are often created using an inductive process. The UNV format would be too exhaustive to implement in its entity for anybody. So you need different samples to implement the features that are actually being used.

-Peter