"Hide/show selected" of multibody mesh is not working

The graphical user interface of Elmer
bfischer
Antispam: Yes

"Hide/show selected" of multibody mesh is not working

Post by bfischer »

Hi there,

I created a multibody mesh in Salome and exported it to unv for usage in Elmer. However, I only see the mesh of the surrounding air and it is not possible to hide single bodies. When I tried to hide single bodies in the sample part of tutorial 7 (wire.grd) it worked, but not for my part. Since Elmer doesn't take over the naming, I cannot be sure whether I assign the materials and boundary conditions to the correct bodies. Has anybody an idea how I can have a look inside the mesh (like in Salome) or why it is not possible to hide single bodies in this case?

Best regards
Attachments
Salome Screenshot.jpg
(430.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Elmer Screenshot.jpg
(268.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
raback
Site Admin

Re: "Hide/show selected" of multibody mesh is not working

Post by raback »

Hi

Why can't you use names? See
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6879&p=21601&#p21591

-Peter
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

It appears you have body 1 selected abd hide selected, this means the outer surface boundary is still showing and you can't see through it. Try selecting the outer surface boundary and hide it.
bfischer

Post by bfischer »

Thanks for the hint with the command for using the names. I'm going to try that out.

Indeed, it works to hide the surface boundary but in this case everything disappears. Looks like the mesh is empty under the surface boundary :?:
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

By default displaying volume elements is off in ElmerGUI, you have to turn them on to see them.
bfischer

Post by bfischer »

I can see the volume mesh after I turned it on (see screenshot). However, it is still not possible to hide single bodies. I tried to hide all the bodies but the view doesn't change.
Attachments
Volume mesh Screenshot.jpg
(263.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bfischer

Post by bfischer »

I'm a little bit closer now. I found out that the shown boundary contains the surface boundaries of all bodies and that I have to divide it first by clicking on "Divide surface". After that, I can hide the outer surface boundary to have a look inside. However, I would expect that when I click on a single body all surface boundaries belonging to that body are highlighted. This is also the behaviour of the sample part in tutorial 7 (wire.grd) but it is still not working.
Attachments
Elmer Screenshot 2.jpg
(379.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet