Elmer GUI crashes when loading STL files

The graphical user interface of Elmer
PapayaSalad
Antispam: Yes

Elmer GUI crashes when loading STL files

Post by PapayaSalad »

Hello,

I'm trying to load a STL file to ElmerGUI but I haven't been able to get it to work. The software keeps crashing without any warning. I have the same problem using .unv file generated from gmsh.

I'm using Windows 10 64bit.

Please help!

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
Opal Vacuum.stl
(98.71 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Opal Vacuum.unv
(571.31 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
mzenker

Re: Elmer GUI crashes when loading STL files

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

AFAIK Elmer cannot import stl. But my ElmerGUI loads the unv file without problems. Note that you need to use File->Open, not File->Load mesh.

HTH,
Matthias
PapayaSalad

Post by PapayaSalad »

mzenker wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 10:59 Hi,

AFAIK Elmer cannot import stl. But my ElmerGUI loads the unv file without problems. Note that you need to use File->Open, not File->Load mesh.

HTH,
Matthias
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your response. It turned out that there was a problem with the software. Reinstalling solved the problem with crashing.

One last question, do you know any tutorial on how to divide up or define different bodies? When I load the .unv, GUI treats the geometry as one body. I use Autodesk inventor for drawing.

Thank you for your help!
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

for FEM, you should use a meshing tool. Normally, the geometry is defined with a CAD tool. Most meshing programs (e.g. gmsh or Salomé) have CAD capabilities. Alternatively, you can use your favourite CAD tool, save the geometry as STEP or brep and import it in the mesher. AFAIK stl treats the whole geometry as one single body/surface. If you define the bodies in the CAD and apply the mesher to it, the body/boundary structure is normally perserved.

HTH,
Matthias
lmehdizadegannam

Post by lmehdizadegannam »

Hello,

My name is Lida. I have similar issue with opening STL files in Elmer. Based on this discussion I understand Elmer cannot open STL files. I am using Blender software to build my geometry. I have an existing STL file. I want to reduce the mesh elements. Can you guide me how I can do so? I cannot save my geometry as STEP or brep in Blender. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Lida