ElmerGUI crashes with segmentation fault

The graphical user interface of Elmer
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: ElmerGUI crashes with segmentation fault

Post by raback »

Hi Ewald

Better success this time. I studied your unv file and tried to figure out what the ElmerGrid parser does with it. The data is in sets that are described in http://www.sdrl.uc.edu/universal-file-f ... le-formats.

For the nodes (dataset 2411) everything seems to go ok. For elements (dataset 2412) also, except that I had overlooked physical and material property index. Should these be used and which would better correspond to the body index of Elmer?

For the groups the parser can't quite make it. I made some improvements and hopefully the situation improved. But in your case group 1 included 222 elements. Should the default be the physical index 2 thus giving two different body indexes?

The changes may now to be tested in ElmerGrid. I'll copy the same routine to Elmer if there are no problems.

-Peter
Ewald

Re: ElmerGUI crashes with segmentation fault

Post by Ewald »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments and code update.
I need some time to answer your questions. First I need to study the UNV syntax in more detail. Thanks for the link.I will come back later.

Let me add some comment concerning index handling from a easy user interface perspective:

Even for the quite simple test mesh test.unv ElmerGUI gets extremly slow when the display of surface or body indexes is switched on.
Therefore, I'd like to suggest to turn the visualization of the concerning number on only for a sufficient zoom factor. Currently, for complex meshes there are CPU processing times of several ten minutes, often I have even to kill the process. Therefore it is quite tedious to build the crossreference table between surface or body index versus group element name in Salome.

It would also be preferable to get the assignment list of group element name to surface or body index as output of a ElmerGUI menu item.
Even better would be if in general the group element names could be used instead of the indexes.

How do you think on this?

Best regards,

Ewald