Reinitialize fields during steady-state simulation?

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
AndrejR
Antispam: Yes

Reinitialize fields during steady-state simulation?

Post by AndrejR »

Hello,

is there some simple way to reinitialize fields during steady-state simulation? (either reuse Initial Condition, or set everything to 0)
So that Elmer would do x steady state iterations, then reinitialize some or all the fields and then do another x iterations...

I think this could be done by writing custom solver, but before I try that, I want to be sure there is no simpler way. Can this be done purely from a .sif file or from a Fortran subroutine?

The reason I want to do this is because I am using EOF library and I believe Elmer is cumulating some sort of error. When running Elmer "manually" from the beginning each time on precomputed data, the error is gone, but this defeats the whole point of using EOF and it is very slow.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Reinitialize fields during steady-state simulation?

Post by raback »

Hi

Is this related to AV solver and coupled iterations with it? This is the only solver where such "cumulation" might happen due to the Coulomb gauge not being enforced. There is sort of gauging that comes from the Krylov methods but as it is not enforced the solution might be polluted. If a solution is obtained it should be a good one but as known the vector potential is not unique without a gauge condition.

If the "cumulation" would be in a more standard solver then I would think that some relaxation on the coupled system level would do the trick.

-Peter
AndrejR

Re: Reinitialize fields during steady-state simulation?

Post by AndrejR »

It seems that you were right. Reinitialization is not necessary. Thank you.