Circuit Model Depth parameter effect

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
gangiguy
Antispam: Yes

Circuit Model Depth parameter effect

Post by gangiguy »

Hello,

i'm continuing to work on the example I descibed in this post.

I built a simulation on FEMM of the same geometry to test the torque values I found in Elmer.

With circuit depth equal to 1, both Elmer and FEMM calculate the same torque values. If I set a circuit depth of 0.1, I get different results between Elmer and FEMM. FEMM results change according to the new circuit depth while Elmer results remain the same of simulation with circuit depth 1.

It is like Elmer is ignoring the "Circuit Model Depth" parameter in the simulation section. I also tried to put it in the solver section but it does not have any effect.

Can someone help me on this?
Here the sif file
case.sif
(6.59 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Thanks,

Angelo
Last edited by gangiguy on 05 Jul 2021, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.
gangiguy

Re: Circuit Model Depth parameter effect

Post by gangiguy »

I re-uploaded the mesh files because they were no longer available in the other post.

https://filebin.net/v0blu4zcwr81114h
gangiguy

Post by gangiguy »

Hello,

I also tried changing the circuit depth in the project shared in this post viewtopic.php?t=4901.

Results of Elmer simulation does not vary after changing the Circuit Model Depth parameter, like it has no effect.
jvelasco

Post by jvelasco »

You don't have a circuit defined in your model. Have you tried the Coordinate Scaling keyword in the Simulation block

For instance with:

Coordinate Scaling = 1 1 3

you will end up with a three-time scaled z-coordinate in your model.

I hope this works.
gangiguy

Post by gangiguy »

Hello,

thanks for your help. I tried what you suggested but unfortunately it does not affect the output results, maybe because I have "Coordinate System = Cartesian 2D"?

About having the circuit: do you mean adding a component as described at page 122 of Elmer Solver Manual and setting the Master Bodies keyword as the rotor body index?

Thanks,

Angelo
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi,

I think that your computation is just for unit length. Hence after computation you need to multiply the results that are dependent on the length (nodal forces, torque etc.) with the length of the motor.

I think the coordinate scaling does not have an effect as it just multiplies zeros.

-Peter