Applied Lorentz Force

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Andrea_P
Antispam: Yes

Applied Lorentz Force

Post by Andrea_P »

Good evening,
Would it be possible to apply the Lorentz force in the solver "Magnetic induction equation", instead of using an applied magnetic field?
Regards,
Andrea
POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF TURIN-DIMEAS
raback
Site Admin

Re: Applied Lorentz Force

Post by raback »

Hi

Lorenz force should be applied to some equation that operators on forces. Currently it is readily available only in FlowSolver i.e for Navier-Stokes equation. It includes the contributions of enforced and induced magnetic fields.

-Peter
Andrea_P

Post by Andrea_P »

raback wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:12 Hi

Lorenz force should be applied to some equation that operators on forces. Currently it is readily available only in FlowSolver i.e for Navier-Stokes equation. It includes the contributions of enforced and induced magnetic fields.

-Peter
For example I have the following case.sif. should I put the Lorentz force in the Navier stockes solver?
Attachments
case.sif
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

It should be ok. You don't iterate within a timestep so the effect is not seen on the 1st timestep. -Peter
Andrea_P

Post by Andrea_P »

raback wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:20 It should be ok. You don't iterate within a timestep so the effect is not seen on the 1st timestep. -Peter
Thanks, Peter. So, Should I write the Lorentz Force in the section "Body Force 1" or in the solver "Navier-Stocks"?
-Andrea
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Navier-Stokes equation looks for it in the Body Force section as described in the manual. Usually the physics should not come into to the solver settings. It is more related to physical entities (bodies & boundaries).

-Peter
Andrea_P

Post by Andrea_P »

raback wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:48 Hi

Navier-Stokes equation looks for it in the Body Force section as described in the manual. Usually the physics should not come into to the solver settings. It is more related to physical entities (bodies & boundaries).

-Peter
Thanks Peter, I followed your suggestions and it works.This is my new case.sif. Should I put also the magnetic field used in the Lorentz force as "applied magnetic field" in the Material section? Because now in the Convergence monitor Navier stockes and Level set just appear and not the magnetic solver, However when I open Paraview, the magnetic field and Lorentz Force are showed. So, my question is: What kind of magnetic field is that one showed in Paraview? Is the induced one? . Naturally, I have read the manual, but I didn't understand the description of the solver. I know that is fundamental for my MHD problem. My problem is analyzing the profile velocity in the zinc liquid when a magnetic field is acting. I expect a lower velocity profile and a reduction in the quantity of zinc in terms of interface.
-Andrea
Attachments
case.sif
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 147 times