EDF for new CoilSolver

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
tschmidt
Antispam: Yes

EDF for new CoilSolver

Post by tschmidt »

I could not find any definitions for the CoilSolver, so I put one together. The solver shows up in the "Equation" and "Boundary Condition" menus, as desired; however, there are some issues:
  • The Boundary Condition Options "Current Density BC", "Coil Start" and "Coil End" do not show
  • The data type's don't seem to be recognized correctly. When I check one of the boxes in the solver specific options and run the solver, I get an error that "true" is not recognized. I have to set it to "Logical true" in the .sif manually. I copied the XML code from another EDF, so there should be no difference (on the EDF side).
I also tried and set up a test case (a single closed loop surrounded by air), but the solver just returns me NaNs. I'll have another look at this next week, but if anyone finds out what's wrong in the meantime, I'm also happy. I'm well aware that, according to the docs, the CoilSolver is still in Alpha state (according to the docs) and there might be difficulties. I run Elmer on a Win7 machine, so things might also look different under Linux.

One question: the solver has a field "Coil dy". I assume that this is meant to be the Diameter of the coil, is that right?
Attachments
TestCase_CoilSolver.zip
(180.93 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
case.sif
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
CoilSolver.xml
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
raback
Site Admin

Re: EDF for new CoilSolver

Post by raback »

Hi

Great! The complaint about the types comes from the fact that these keywords are not even in the SOLVER.KEYWORDS database. They could be added there -> I just added them.

-Peter
granzer

Post by granzer »

tschmidt wrote: 30 Oct 2015, 17:42 I could not find any definitions for the CoilSolver, so I put one together. The solver shows up in the "Equation" and "Boundary Condition" menus, as desired; however, there are some issues:
  • The Boundary Condition Options "Current Density BC", "Coil Start" and "Coil End" do not show
  • The data type's don't seem to be recognized correctly. When I check one of the boxes in the solver specific options and run the solver, I get an error that "true" is not recognized. I have to set it to "Logical true" in the .sif manually. I copied the XML code from another EDF, so there should be no difference (on the EDF side).
I also tried and set up a test case (a single closed loop surrounded by air), but the solver just returns me NaNs. I'll have another look at this next week, but if anyone finds out what's wrong in the meantime, I'm also happy. I'm well aware that, according to the docs, the CoilSolver is still in Alpha state (according to the docs) and there might be difficulties. I run Elmer on a Win7 machine, so things might also look different under Linux.

One question: the solver has a field "Coil dy". I assume that this is meant to be the Diameter of the coil, is that right?
Hello,
I am loading the .mesh.*, from the zipped folder that you have provided, in Elmer. While the mesh loads without a hitch I am not able to select the coil body inside the sphere by selecting its name under 'Body' tree. Boundaries can be selected individually but the coil 'Body' name doesn't seem to be connected the the coil mesh.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Not sure what you mean by 'select'? In ElmerGUI the default is to only show surface boundary meshes. The outer boundary hides everything inside while in shaded view mode. You can hide surfaces and turn on volume meshes.
In the default view mode, I can select the coil, right click, and assign attributes. I just can't see it because it is buried.
It is connected as there are no coincident nodes.
granzer

Post by granzer »

kevinarden wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 13:50 Not sure what you mean by 'select'? In ElmerGUI the default is to only show surface boundary meshes. The outer boundary hides everything inside while in shaded view mode. You can hide surfaces and turn on volume meshes.
In the default view mode, I can select the coil, right click, and assign attributes. I just can't see it because it is buried.
It is connected as there are no coincident nodes.
I am sorry for my lack of clarity. When I say 'select' I mean: when I 'select' Body-Property-2 from under the 'Body' tree, I am able to select the air domain, As shown in the pic
Screen_Up_1.png
Air_Body_Selected
(59.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

But if I hide the boundaries of the air domain (ie Body Property 2) and try to select the coil by 'selecting' the Body-Property-1 from under the 'Body' tree it doesn't select the coil body as shown in the figure:
Coil_Not_Selected
Coil_Not_Selected
Screen_Up_2.png (56.79 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
I am, however, able to select the boundaries of the coil without any problem as shown
Surface_Selected
Surface_Selected
Screen_Up_3.png (43.27 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
But since Equations are applied to individual bodies being able to select boundaries doesn't help me much.

I am not sure if this is a software bug or a problem with my installations.

Best Regards,
Mandeep
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

same issue as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7359&p=24185#p24185

the boundary elements are associated with more than 1 body and ElmerGUI uses the boundary elements to display the bodies, not the volume elements.