Electromagnetic vector field solver

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
aether
Antispam: Yes

Electromagnetic vector field solver

Post by aether »

Hi Elmer,

What is the status of the electromagnetic field solver? I remember a post circa November, 2013 to the effect that there is an undocumented solver in the development branch and that a lot of work was going into it at that time. How can I learn more about suitability to solve some vector E&M problems in 2D?

Thanks.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Electromagnetic vector field solver

Post by raback »

Hi eather

The electromagnetics solvers have been under very active development. The focus has been in 3D since there the existing tools leave more room for furher developments. There is also a 2D version which has almost the same features. Both solvers assume low freaquency and use potential formulations. There is also a novel 3D wave equation for high frequency simulations. The 3D electromagnetic solver is already used for really complex real world problems both in industry and academia.

-Peter
felix

Post by felix »

Is there any documentation about it? or is there anyone who I can contact with in order to learn how to use it?

Please let me ask a question.

I want to compute the specific absorption rate (SAR) in patients when I use a radiofrequency electromagnetic field (13.56 MHz) generated by a capacitive hyperthermia device. I think that I can export the segmented CT dicom images and generate the mesh using slicer3D. But I don't know the solver to be used and how to define the excitation generated by my device. (SAR is proportional to E field and is measured in Watt/kg).

Thank you for your answers in advance.
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Felix,
The Elmer Models Manual, in its several chapters discusses about Electromagnetics Solvers.
Model 14 Computation of Magnetic Fields in 3D
Model 15 Vectorial Helmholtz for electromagnetic waves
Model 16 Computation of Magnetic Fields in 2D

The relevant examples for WhitneyAVSolver are given in test cases with names mgdyn_ ... or mgdyn2D_ ... :
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... dyn_steady
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... /fem/tests

Yours Sincerely
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
felix

Post by felix »

Thank you very much for your reply annier.

As far as I've been able to understand the MagnetoDynamics module is "my module". It can calculate the Electric field if I supply the geometry of the problem (the mesh including the patient and my two plates that act as antennas) and if I define the excitation of the system.

The excitation, or the boundary conditions, is defined via Vs, Js and the magnetization sources as I can read in the theory chapter. Also I can see these values as body forces in the section describing the keywords. I understand that this data set makes unnecesary the knowledge of A(r) at the nodes placed in the boundary.

As I have not used any magnetic source so M=0, I can measure V(t) at the connectors of my antennas but, what about Js? In the example you mention I can see the values for the boundary conditions too at the .sif file.

Excuse me if these questions are too basic but I'm absoultely newbie with Elmer, and excuse me for my poor English too.

EDIT:

After further examining examples I think that I have to solve the problem in three steps: Stat current solver -> WhitneyAVsolver -> Magnetodynamic calc fields. The first solver is used to compute J used by the second solver. Am I correct? If so, how do I define V(t) for the first step?. It is not a constat value