Paralleling computation with umfpack

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Andrea_P
Antispam: Yes

Paralleling computation with umfpack

Post by Andrea_P »

Good morning,
Is it possible to use the paralleling computation with the direct method: umfpack? Because Elmer gave me an error when I used this method.
Regards,
Andrea
POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF TURIN-DIMEAS
raback
Site Admin

Re: Paralleling computation with umfpack

Post by raback »

Hi Andrea,

No. Umfpack is not MPI parallel library. Of the actively supported direct linear solvers MUMPS is parallel, also on some platforms you could compile with MKL Pardiso.

This is not a limitation by Elmer. It is just that many algorithms are just so much easier to code in serial that the MPI version is often lacking. Direct linear methods belong to this group. Instead, iterative linear solvers are pretty easy to parallelize and as a result there are many implementations available.

-Peter
Andrea_P

Re: Paralleling computation with umfpack

Post by Andrea_P »

raback wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 00:35 Hi Andrea,

No. Umfpack is not MPI parallel library. Of the actively supported direct linear solvers MUMPS is parallel, also on some platforms you could compile with MKL Pardiso.

This is not a limitation by Elmer. It is just that many algorithms are just so much easier to code in serial that the MPI version is often lacking. Direct linear methods belong to this group. Instead, iterative linear solvers are pretty easy to parallelize and as a result there are many implementations available.

-Peter
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer. Which platform do they support MKL Pardiso? I tried to use a paralleling computation just to speed up the simulations I am running. Unfortunately, I have been noting that the latter ones have divergence problems. Indeed, I posted a thread in the section "Elmer solver"
Regards,
Andrea
POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF TURIN-DIMEAS