Documentation under creative commons

Updates in software, documentation, sites etc.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Documentation under creative commons

Post by raback »

Dear Elmer users

The Elmer documentation has recently been moved under Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/.

In practice this means that it is now perfectly ok to redistribute the pdf documentation with the code. Also it is possible to distribute printed copies of the documentation. This is probably how many users have done even before but for official distributions the new license may be a welcome change.

ElmerTeam
Dmitriy M.
Antispam: Yes

Re: Documentation under creative commons

Post by Dmitriy M. »

I was translating the tutorials into non-English language, when I saw that the documentation is distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. What should I do? To change the "derivative" status of my work I modified a little the task of tutorial, made the new screenshoots, added more explanations, all under GNU Free Documentation License 1.2, the bibliography has links on the original documentation. Ok?

In tutorial 2 instuction to load mesh by

Code: Select all

File
        Open -> beam3d.grd
makes ElmerGUI to draw only a black long line.

I replaced it by the instruction

Code: Select all

File
     Load Mesh... -> LoadedElasticBeam
that makes Elmer load mesh correctly. Maybe it is a bug of Elmer is included in Ubuntu 12.04 today.

The dry pine timber is chosen as material. But this material is not isotropic, like a steel. I am a newbie in Elmer, but I see the calculations are done as for an isotropic material. Is it a mistake?

Elmer is a brilliant program. Thanks for the creation of it free.