Country or unit related problem

Clearly defined bug reports and their fixes
Even

Country or unit related problem

Post by Even »

Description of problem:

I have been working through the official tutorials 1-8 for Elmer, and I almost all solutions seem to be erronemous compared to the results found in the pdf. The bug(s) seem to be country or unit related. I am using the models and meshes that came with my Elmer.

I am a Norwegian user and in tutorial 2 I found that I got correct results when I switched language to English (USA) and country to USA.
I continued using US English for the following tutorials. Some tutorials give me correct solutions, but most solutions have wrong max and min levels. The worst results I got when running tutorial 8 where I got both wrong visual result and max/min-levels. I have experimented with Finnish settings as well, but with no luck. I completely close Elmer in between starting up each new tutorial..

I submit the complete folder of Tutorial 2 as it is when I use Norwegian settings.
I also submit the sif file for Tutorial 8 as it is when I use US English settings (The complete folder is 17 MB zipped).

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,
Elmer binary: Original windows distribution (Elmer-svn4671-2010-09-29.exe)
Version of the code: ELMER SOLVER (v 5.5.0), Library version: 6.0 (Rev: 4649)
Attachments
case_Tutorial 8.sif
Sif file for Tutorial 8 with US English settings.
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Tutorial 2.zip
Complete folder of Tutorial 2 with Norwegian settings.
(603.8 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Country or unit related problem

Post by raback »

Hi

There is a known problem in languages where comma is used as decimal point. I think that the German community has some workaround for that . I can definately say that Finnish language settings have not been used in developing this program. Therefore we have perhaps also been too oblivious for this problem.

-Peter
Even

Post by Even »

Is there a quick fix that I can use to continue using Elmer with my current installation? Could you send me som info on how the German users are handling the situation?
petroo

Post by petroo »

Hello Even,

I staggered over a localization problem when using UNV meshes exported from Salomé. Here the exported dot "." in the number representation needed to be replaced by a comma ",".

On Linux boxes this transformation is readily performed by a simple SED command:

Code: Select all

sed "s/\./,/g" <Input-Mesh.unv >Output-Mesh.unv
I am working with Ubuntu. Whether there is a comparable conversion program under Win7 you will have to find out yourself, I fear ... :mrgreen:

Regards,

Peter