Magnetization vs magnet poles

General discussion about Elmer
NewJoker
Antispam: Yes

Magnetization vs magnet poles

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

electromagnetic simulations are not my field but I get to deal with them sometimes. One thing that bothers me is how to interpret magnetization in Elmer. Most importantly, should it always be different for north and south poles of a magnet ? In the Tutorial 15. Magnetostatics – Magnetic field
resulting from a permanent magnet
, magnetization is defined like this:

Code: Select all

Name = IronPlus
MgDyn2d
Relative Permeability = 5000.0
Magnetization 1 = Real 750.0e3

Name = IronMinus
MgDyn2d
Relative Permeability = 5000.0
Magnetization 1 = Real -750.0e3
where IronPlus is assigned to the upper pole of a horseshoe magnet while IronMinus is assigned to the lower pole.

Magnetic field intensity vector symbols in the results of this simulation go from the lower end to the upper end:

So the lower end should be the north pole while the upper one should be the south pole, right ? Then the convention is that the north pole has negative magnetization while the south pole has positive magnetization ? I just wonder if it's always the case.
kevinarden

Re: Magnetization vs magnet poles

Post by kevinarden »

I think if you run variations of those negatives, and positives. Both positive, both negative, one one way, one the other. You will find that the answer never changes.
NewJoker

Re: Magnetization vs magnet poles

Post by NewJoker »

kevinarden wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 01:15 I think if you run variations of those negatives, and positives. Both positive, both negative, one one way, one the other. You will find that the answer never changes.
That's right but then why is one sign negative in the tutorial ? Do negative magnetization values change anything in Elmer ?