Salome geometry import issues in Elmer GUI

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
catalineacsu
Antispam: Yes

Salome geometry import issues in Elmer GUI

Post by catalineacsu »

Hello everyone,

Most likely I am (again) doing something wrong, thus I need some help.
I am modeling a PCB microstrip (a small planar copper, parallel to a large reference plane of copper, separated by a dielectric as seen in the first pic), as I want to get its capacity in report to the reference plane.
microstrip.png
microstrip.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
The main problem I am facing is that while in Salome and in ElmerGrid I see 4 volume groups and 4 surface groups, Elmer GUI imports 5 volumes and 3 surfaces, which puzzles me.

elmerImported.png
elmerImported.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
salomeShaperAndMesh.png
salomeShaperAndMesh.png (17.81 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
I uploaded all the files (Elmer, UNV and details) here: https://github.com/catalineacsu/ElmerDebugShare.
Please note that I also tried to use the geometry created by elmerGrid (report also included) but Elmer fails to load it and crashes.

File list:
elmerGridReport.txt - command line conversion report of unv to Elmer
elmerImported.png - how it looks in Elmer GUI (also in this post)
salomeShaperAndMesh.png - Hoe it looks in SALOME (also in this post)
traceCapInSphere.zip - UNV file from SALOME
traceCapacity_V1.zip - ELMER folder
kevinarden

Re: Salome geometry import issues in Elmer GUI

Post by kevinarden »

It looks like the grouping is off in Salome. Each group of volume elements, become a body. However, any volumes elements not in a group gets added as another body at the end, which is why you get 5. It appears there is 1 volume element not in any group. It also looks like some of the groups contain some the same elements. I do not think Elmer can handle that, each body and boundary has to have unique elements.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Salome geometry import issues in Elmer GUI

Post by raback »

Hi,

I think Kevin is right. I added some additional info to the parser and this is the output from it:

Code: Select all

Group set for 349998 elements out of 323619
Unset group for 2731 elements
What probably happens is that the original entities get confused with the given groups as they are not given for all elements.

A partial remedy would be to ensure in the code that the original entities and given groups don't overlap. However, the group being set several times may be problematic even then.

-Peter