Fortran runtime error

The graphical user interface of Elmer
cwarner7_11

Fortran runtime error

Post by cwarner7_11 »

I am relatively new to Elmer, and as I struggle with the GUI, I find that using the tutorial *.sif files, I usually get a good run, but when I try generating my own *śif files from the GUI using the tutorial *.sif files, I get:

MAIN: Reading Model ...
At line 1230 of file ModelDescription.f90
Fortran runtime error: Bad real number in item 1 of list input

I find nothing in the documentation or here in the forum to explain just exactly what this means, or what I can do to fix it. When I compare the generated *.sif files with the ones provided with the tutorials, I see no obvious difference...

I am using Elmer 5.5.0 obtained from Ubuntu repositories, on Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit.
cwarner7_11

Re: Fortran runtime error

Post by cwarner7_11 »

I think I have identified the problem. I was using the Electrostatics equation, and somewhere I had read that the "Potential Condition" should be set to "True" (I believe this was from an earlier edition of Elmer that was included with CAELinux). That appears to be wrong. Several different models run well if I do not set this to "True". As I review the literature, I do not see any discussion of this particular key word. Is there any explanation of what this is used for that I am missing?
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Fortran runtime error

Post by raback »

Hi

The "Condition" relates to Dirichlet boundary (or bulk) conditions. Sometimes the BC boundary for a "Field" cannot be set a priori as it depends on the solution. Then one may use the keyword "Field Condition" to define whether the BC is applied or not. The condition should be of type Real and positive value means that the BC is applied. For example in heat transfer problems one could use the condition to set temperature only when there is flow into the domain (say v_x>0.0), for example

Code: Select all

Boundary Condition 1
  Target Boundaries = 2
  Name = TempAtInflow
  Temperature = 273.0
  Temperature Condition = Equals Velocity 1
End
In electrostatics one could perhaps have a BC that is set only if the induced charges would be positive or negative. Anyway, the feature is usually needed only in special cases.

-Peter