Problems with bending beam example

The graphical user interface of Elmer
azirbel

Problems with bending beam example

Post by azirbel »

Hi,

I'm new to Elmer and am stuck on a problem. My goal is to simulate the bending of an elastic beam under different forces. With a 3D model I am getting very unrealistic deflection (but that's another story) - so I'm trying to modify the bending_beam example here:

http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/elmer/e ... /elastbeam

So that I can simulate again with different forces and elasticity. However, though the part imports, the solver won't run for me with the given .sif file.

This may be a simple problem I am overlooking; is someone able to try this and see if it works for them, or tell me where my mistake is? I just want to recreate the example from the given input files.

Thanks in advance!
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Problems with bending beam example

Post by raback »

This should work. Just first copy the .sif and .grd file to your working directory.

Code: Select all

ElmerGrid 1 2 beam2d.grd
ElmerSolver elast_2d.sif
If it complains about not finding the ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO (in Windows) you have to create one with the name of the command file in it. With mingw (and all *unix) this works.

Code: Select all

echo 'elast2d_sif' > ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO
ElmerSolver
-Peter
azirbel

Post by azirbel »

Thanks for the quick reply! Very helpful, and it worked perfectly.

I have a couple more questions about how to re-create the example. Hopefully they are fairly easy as well.

1. Curiosity - why doesn't ElmerGUI work with these inputs?
2. How can I see data about my output after running the solver? I end up with an 83MB file called data3d.ep, but haven't been able to do anything with it.
3. How can I make a differently shaped beam so I can test that one out as well?

I have been working on this and experimenting a lot, but often with no results, so I really appreciate your answers!

Thanks-
Alex
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Hi Alex,

1) The .sif file may be generated from ElmerGUI but it cannot be used as input to ElmerGUI. ElmerGUI can only read projects saved by ElmerGUI, not .sif files written by hand.

2-3) See http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/elmer/documentation, particularly the Tutorials.

-Peter
shirazbj

Post by shirazbj »

Hi,

how do I view the result of this simulation?

what data3d.ep do?

Thanks

Cean
shirazbj

Post by shirazbj »

figured out to use elmerpost to open *.ep file. Cool.