elmer on Win8 on a tablet

General discussion about Elmer
semperula
Antispam: Yes

elmer on Win8 on a tablet

Post by semperula »

Dear all,

thanks so much for all the work that went into elmer. I am currently working through the tutorial. After I found that a recent built of elmer on MAC 10.6.8 (already deleted ..) did not show the same GUI as in the tutorial, and as indeed on other platforms, I installed a windows NT built in the virtual machine on the mac. Which worked fine, only , that the virtual machine slows down the mac beyond belief, so not a real long term option. I therefore got myself a new computer, an Asus VivoTab tablet, running Windows 8 recently updated (not just WinRT). I can install fine, and do the first steps - sometimes it crashes already at the beginning, but inevitably elmer (built 6064 downloaded yesterday') will crash when I try to double click one boundary area - not only with the heat equation tutorial example, but also with the beam3d and with another grid. on the normal screen, as well as on the full screen.
Also, the tenth line in the ElmerGUI log window reads "Qt: Untested Windows version 6.2 detected!". From searching online, I got the impression that this is not necessarily a major problem, just a warning - or should I rather build elmer from the source files to get around any such issues? Would that be an option at all?
Does anyone have experiences with elmer on tablets and/or with elmer on win8? I did try to install Microsoft Visual C++ as suggested in one of the Readme's but that software seems to be already on the machine. Any other suggestions?

Best regards and thanks,
Susanne

Edit: I am the administrator on the tablet.

Edit: when trying to run an example that works on the slow virtual machine from the command line on the tablet I get after "Reading Model: case.sif":
Loading user function library: [HeatSolve]...[HeatSolver_Init0]
Loading user function library: [FluxSolver]...[FluxSolver_Init0]
ERROR:: CreateInterfaceMeshes: Elements belong to both Master and Target: 130

What are master and target here?