K-Epsilon convergence issues

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
LaurenN
Antispam: Yes

K-Epsilon convergence issues

Post by LaurenN »

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Elmer, and have been trying to get the K-Epsilon turbulence model to converge. I have tried to apply modified boundary conditions from the step test case to 3D problems, as well as examples from these forums, with no success in converging the simulation. I have gone back to the basic problem of water in a 50mm diameter, 1.5 metre long straight pipe flowing at 1.8 m/s. Attached is the sif file of the case that comes closest to converging.
Is there something obvious that I’m doing wrong here?
Attachments
case.sif
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
cemg
Antispam: Yes

Re: K-Epsilon convergence issues

Post by cemg »

Hi,

some ideas after a first look to your sif file:

- You must set the inlet values of the turbulent variables (Kinetic Energy and Kinetic Dissipation), not only its initial values.

- The boundary condition for the wall is wrong. You must use a wall law for the K-Epsilon turbulence model, as long as the K-Epsilon version in Elmer is only for hi Reynolds flows. So, delete the keyword "Noslip Wall BC" (keeping the wall law related keywords) , and ensure normal velocity = 0 with a dirichlet condition on the normal component.

- The convergence will probably improve doing just one nonlinear iteration of each solver per coupled system iteration ("Nonlinear System Max Iterations = 1" in both solvers).

Regards,

Cesar