Windows installer for 64bit?

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
mzenker

Windows installer for 64bit?

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I have got a new machine running Windows 7 64-bit. I assume that Elmer compiled for 64-bit can take advantage of the larger memory (12 GB in my case). On nic.funet.fi, I see a windows installer for Rev. 6064 and a win64 zip file for Rev. 5884. I assume that the installer contains the 32-bit version.
Question: is there a 64-bit version of the latest Elmer revision? If so, where do I find it, and how do I install it? Since more and more users will have 64-bit machines, I think it would be a good idea to make a 64-bit installer available - unless the expected performance gain over 32-bit would not be significant...

Thanks,

Matthias
mzenker

Re: Windows installer for 64bit?

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

does anyone know anything about Elmer performance on 64-bit vs. 32-bit (Windoze or Linux)?

Thanks for an answer,

Matthias
mzenker

Re: Windows installer for 64bit?

Post by mzenker »

Hi again,

while waiting for an answer, I have installed the 32-bit Elmer using the Windoze installer. Some quirks I have noticed:

* The installer does not create an entry in the start menu.
* The links (ElmerGUI and ElmerPost) created on the desktop launch an annoying security warning every time, which cannot be disabled. A quick internet research revealed that this is probably due to the ownership of those links. Starting the programs directly from the installation directory does not open the security warning. Solution: re-create the links manually.

Remark: I have NOT installed Elmer in C:\Program files or C:\Program Files (x86) since one might need to modify or replace files manually (e.g. move files from bin/edf-extra to bin/edf), and Windoze 7 does not like that at all if you are in those Program Files directories.

And - maybe it's time for fresh Windoze binaries... ?

Matthias