elmer front missing

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
uleaum
Antispam: Yes

elmer front missing

Post by uleaum »

I am trying to load elmer in windows. I obtained the latest binaries from source forge, but elmer front is missing. I get the shortcut on my desktop but the executable seems to be missing. I have tried installing on XP and Windows 7 starter but get the same thing on both computers.

I am trying to figure out how to generate the geometry for 3D models. I understand there is way to do that from a command line.

Is there a way to generate the geometry in ElmerGUI that I am just not seeing?

Are there open source programs that can be used to create the geometry and import it into Elmer?

How can I learn how to generate geometry from the command line or a command file?
mzenker

Re: elmer front missing

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

for not too complicated geometries, you can use gmsh (http://www.geuz.org/gmsh) for geometry generation and meshing. For more complicated cases, you will need a CAD software (there seems to be a free software called freeCAD), then an export in STEP format and meshing with gmsh. Elmer can read the gmsh .msh format.
AFAIK ElmerFront is no longer supported, since ElmerGUI is the frontend for Elmer.

HTH,

Matthias
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

for those who still want to use ElmerFront (e.g. because selecting surfaces in 3D doesn't work in ElmerGUI):
You need to copy ElmerFront from an older Elmer Revision (e.g. Rev. 5817). Copy ElmerFront.exe to the bin directory of your new Elmer installation. Also copy share/elmerfront. Then ElmerFront will run (at least it does for me).
Note: This is for Windows users, but the process is certainly similar under Linux.

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I might activate ElmerFront for the next installers as there really is not much gain in dropping it out. However, ElmerFront is still obsolite i.e. no support, no bug fixes is to be excepted.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

raback wrote: ElmerFront is still obsolite i.e. no support, no bug fixes is to be excepted.
Yes, that's understandable. As far as 3D mesh visualization is concerned, we can also use the new export capability ElmerGrid -> gmsh and visualize the mesh in gmsh. So finally from my point of view ElmerFront is not needed any more. You could make it available for download somewhere (2 MB zipped) for those who still want to use it.
BTW, is there work on ElmerGUI improvement in sight?

Matthias
sampo

Post by sampo »

@Matthias. Yes, we have some work concerning the further development of ElmerGUI on going. At the first stage, this work includes fixing bugs pointed out by the community and adding some small new features. I'll post more information under the ElmerGUI topic about the progress of this work.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Great!

In case you didn't see it yet: I have posted a list of bugs and desirable features (from my point of view) here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2608. I would be happy if as many as possible of those could be fixed / implemented... :)

Matthias