Adaptive Remeshing

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
wordblue

Adaptive Remeshing

Post by wordblue »

Hi. Elmer Team.

I am trying to use apative meshing technique to solve somewhat large deformation problem in fluid dynamics.
I modeled in 3D but when I was using adaptive solver, Elmer could not find mesh3D.exe file. when finding this file, I could find only "mesh2D.exe" file not "mesh3D.exe".
Can't I use adaptive solver in 3D?
In addition, what solver should adaptive solver keywords be used with? I think it is appropriate to use them with mesh update solver, but I'm not sure.

Sincerely yours,
Jungmin Park
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Adaptive Remeshing

Post by raback »

Hi Park

I guess you should provide your own method in "Mesh3D.exe" to be able to use adaptive meshing. I know that Netgen has been used adaptively in conjunction with Elmer. You need a mesh generator that is able to do local mesh refinement based on the local desired mesh density. I think that there are not many alternatives to Netgen at least under open source. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any guidelines how to accomplish the adaptivity in 3D.

-Peter
bengt

Re: Adaptive Remeshing

Post by bengt »

Hi, dear Elmer community,
I'd like to come back to this older topic. When setting up "full" (N-S+Elasticity in contrast to, say Reynolds+Elasticity) 3d fsi cases comprising rather large elastic deformations, the mesh update solver will severely distort the original fluid domain. If it would be possible to selectively remesh the fluid domain adaptively, these cases could rather easily be investigated as well ( :lol: very optimistic, I'm obviously lacking experience in this field...).
I'd pretty much like to know if there has been any development during the last three years with regard to such 3d adaptive remeshing. Is there any known workflow e.g. implementing Netgen??
I'd very much appreciate any suggestions and ideas!
Kind regards, you all have a nice weekend
bengt