missing volume

General discussion about Elmer
chatpall
Antispam: Yes

missing volume

Post by chatpall »

Hi. I would like to ask you. I have created a simple example for steady state heating of plate from two materials (BC 20 °C (1side) to 400 °C (2side). I drew it in gmsh. I have created physical surfaces and volumes of these two plates. After heat equation of simple steady state i have visualised it in post graphic. This visualisation is attached down. Why am I missing the bulk volume of these plates? Why it is shell?? Thank you for your time.
Attachments
exp.png
exp.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
all about materials
materialing.com
raback
Site Admin

Re: missing volume

Post by raback »

Hi

Probably you defined physical entities but only for the boundaries, or then you didn't mesh the 3D volume. Personally I usually prefer to "Save All - ingore physical entities".

-Peter
chatpall

Post by chatpall »

raback wrote:Hi

Probably you defined physical entities but only for the boundaries, or then you didn't mesh the 3D volume. Personally I usually prefer to "Save All - ingore physical entities".

-Peter
If I did so, will I be able to select and apply equation to bodies? I have bodies in Elmer.
all about materials
materialing.com
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

If you just defined physical entities for the boundaries and save them, you will not have any bulk elements saved, even if you created them. -Peter
chatpall

Post by chatpall »

I've checked that, I've created also volume physical entities. The file is attached.
Attachments
2materialy.geo
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
all about materials
materialing.com
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Ok, going back to the premisis, why do you assume you have no bulk elements in the solution? The visualization only shows the surfaces, you need isosurfaces, for example, to visualize the bulk. -Peter
chatpall

Post by chatpall »

raback wrote:Ok, going back to the premisis, why do you assume you have no bulk elements in the solution? The visualization only shows the surfaces, you need isosurfaces, for example, to visualize the bulk. -Peter
With isosurfaces the bulk is visualised. Thanks.
I thougth that i can use only clip plane to create crossections of the model.
It is quite difficult to navigate througth the manual and GUI. Not all aspects are written in the manual. But nevertheless i will try to understand the usage of elmer and all aspects (from my point of view).

Is it also possible to create transverse crossections of model with isosurfaces ?
all about materials
materialing.com
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

You can always choose the coordinates (nodes_x, nodes_y, nodes_z) for the isosurfaces to get nice planes.

If you hit the limits of ElmerPost you can also use ResultOutputSolver to write the results out in Vtu format for Paraview, for example.

-Peter
chatpall

Post by chatpall »

Thank you for your help. This forum is great for beginners like me.
all about materials
materialing.com