import unv format failes with revision 5604

The graphical user interface of Elmer
sigurn
Antispam: Yes

import unv format failes with revision 5604

Post by sigurn »

a unv. mesh from Salome could be imported by revision 5475, but no longer in 5604. (a linear tet element 504)
I was actually hoping that this newer revision was going to solve the problem of importing quadratic tet elements (510), but it is the other way around...

Hoping to find a way to work with quadratic elements.
(I can via netgen and then elmer export, but I like the work-flow-three of salome.)

I am working with win7 prof, salome 6.4.0 and the above elmer. (Netgen 4.9.13)
raback
Site Admin

Re: import unv format failes with revision 5604

Post by raback »

Hi, Now this is embarrassing. Could you attach a small case of unv with the linear tets. We should add some meshing tests among the consistency tests, so this would not happen. -Peter
sigurn

Post by sigurn »

Hi,

Sorry for the late response... Future responses will be quicker.

Before sending the unv file and considering your reaction (which indicates that you couldn't reproduce my problem). I checked it again.

I could reproduce it, but found the solution by simply restarting my PC after installation (which I didn't do before).

However I still have the issue that I cannot import the unv file with the 2nd order elements of Salome (attached model). Elmer GUI simply crashes on the model. (I attached the 1st order version of it, so you can see how simple the model is.)

Looking forward to your response!!
Attachments
Mesh_example.zip
contains 1st order and 2nd order version of a mesh that I used during first tests.
(70.52 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi, sorry I may have been unclear about the fix. Unfortunately the ElmerGrid plugin is currently a fork and hence the 2nd order elements were first implemented in the command line version of ElmerGrid. So you might make the translation into Elmer format and then use them as is, or open the mesh in ElmerGUI. -Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

could the Elmergrid plugin being a fork of the commandline Elmergrid be also the explanation for the behaviour I observed earlier (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2133)? Wouldn't it be a good idea to use the "real" Elmergrid also in ElmerGUI, since ElmerGUI sometimes crashes when opening a mesh generated by the commandline Elmergrid?

Matthias
sigurn

Post by sigurn »

I will need more hands on with Elmer.
I had the idea of doing everything through the GUI.

I will test your proposal this weekend...
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Well, the ElmerGrid plugin in ElmerGUI is almost the same code. Unfortunately some changes had to be made to the plugin to enable the API, and these were really not merged with the old ElmerGrid because there were so many other things on the table at the time... So now the fixes must be copied the hard way. Luckily, ElmerGrid is not that actively developed - except for the parseres - so this is not a huge problem. It is also possible that the discrepancies come from ElmerGUI itself, or from the fact that ElmerGrid is compiled with C while ElmerGUI and the ElmerGrid plugin with C++.

-Peter