sif file from ElmerGui : bug

The graphical user interface of Elmer
mark smith

sif file from ElmerGui : bug

Post by mark smith »

The sif file written from the GUI seems to ignore the Execute solver setting for the Result output solver for Vtk format & I guess the other formats as well though I have not checked.
I can put it in manually in the sif but then must run the solver from the command line rater than thro the Gui as the sif is over written on launching the solver.
Regards
mark
mal
Site Admin

Re: sif file from ElmerGui : bug

Post by mal »

Thanks Mark, I will have a look at this.

Meanwhile, a quick remedy would be to edit the following block in "edf/resultourput.xml":

Code: Select all

<Parameter Widget="CheckBox" Enabled="True" Visible="False">
        <Name> No Matrix Equation </Name>  
        <DefaultValue> False </DefaultValue>
      </Parameter>
Changing the default value to "True" should make the "Execute Solver" setting appear in the SIF.
mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi Mal
Strange ,it is "True" in my version (Elmer-svn4193-2009-06-08.exe) ? if I set it to False the following gets added to the sif "No Matrix Equation " (without the quotes) but no Execute solver line?
regards
mark
mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi Mal
sorry the Revision is 4219 & NOT 4193 as stated previously.
Regards
mark
wing

Post by wing »

Hi there,
I have similar 'overwrite' issue here. When I generate the .sif file from ElmerGUI and do some modification manually, it only works for the current session. That is to say, after I close ElmerGUI, launch it again and load the project, the .sif was overwritten (back to the original one generated by ElmerGUI, before the manual modification), even I saved the sif and then the whole project before I closed ElmerGUI.
One more question:
Is it possible input "Scalar Field" and "Vector Field" values for Result Output Solver in ElmerGUI? I cannot find a place to do that so I have to edit the sif manually.

Thanks in advance.
wing
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

wing wrote:When I generate the .sif file from ElmerGUI and do some modification manually, it only works for the current session. That is to say, after I close ElmerGUI, launch it again and load the project, the .sif was overwritten...
This is strictly speaking not a bug as the manual editing was never intended to be saved ;-) The sif file is created based on the state of the menus and adding freeform editing with backward compatibity is probably tedious.
Is it possible input "Scalar Field" and "Vector Field" values for Result Output Solver in ElmerGUI? I cannot find a place to do that so I have to edit the sif manually.
I updated the xml file related to the ResultOutputSolver today and it should eventually find its way to the new distributions. There are quite a few different authors for the different file options of ResultOutputSolver and hence the behaviour is not quite coherent - some file formats require these fields while others do not.

-Peter
Jimmy Johnson

Post by Jimmy Johnson »

I have been using Elmer GUI to model thermal radiation problems with multiple cavities and sections with different grey body emissivities. The first time the GUI generates a SIF file everything that was entered into the model shows up correctly. If the project is saved, and loaded in a second session, a review of the thermal boundary conditions Radiation Boundary, Emissivity, and Radiation Target Body show up light grey. The SIF file generated on the reload of the project has no boundary condition entries for Radiation Boundary, Emissivity, or Radiation Target Body. The only way I have found to generate a correct SIF file on a project that has been reloaded, is to manually refresh the light Diffuse Gray radiation condition for every individual boundary condition that involves thermal radiation. This is fairly time consuming when the model contains many radiation boundary conditions.

Since I can think of no reason why someone would want radiation to be turned off by the act of reloading a project, and since I have found this behavior with no other aspect of material or boundary conditions, I have to assume that it is a bug. I am currently running Elmer for Windows build svn4316, but have seen this same problem with at least three builds going back about one year.

Jimmy Johnson
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

There is a recent version of ElmerGUI that fixes the bug of restart with activated entries (thanx to mal). The version may be uploaded on sourceforge.

People doing radiation problems might also appreciate that if emissivity is given in either of the materials of the boundary, it no longer needs to be given at the BC section. This also eliminates the need of the difficult "Radiation Target Body" keyword. The old method is still working.

-Peter