Which mesh format is the suitable for Elmer GUI

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
Hilaal_leo
Antispam: Yes

Re: Which mesh format is the suitable for Elmer GUI

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Hi Maththias / Peter

I think I have got the source of the problem...

1. ElmerGUI is in nglib mode which accepts .stl format.

2. In case I open the file in STL format (exported form Gmsh with ASCII with Savel All (Ignore Physical Group)) and open in ElmerGUI, it crashes...

3. I am not able to set in ElmerGRID through preference (plz note that I am running it on MAC OX Lion)

Hope now you can suggest the appropriate solution...
:shock:

Best Hilaal
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

You should save Gmsh meshes with suffix .msh. Still, your version is way to old to give usefull debugging info. These problems have probably been resolved long ago. Unfortunately there isn't anybody keeping up a Mac version, as far as I know.

-Peter
Hilaal_leo

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Hi Peter

Thanks. I faced the same issue in WINDOWS XP as well. Do u mean I am operating an old Elmer version? :lol:

Best
Hilaal
Hilaal_leo

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Dear Peter / Maththias

I tried both with .msh and .stl. The reason I am not able to handle .msh file is because ElmerGrid cannot be chosen. Moreover, tetlib is totally disabled. So I opted for nglib which can handle .stl. I can see .grd, FDNET, unv. However, meh & smesh are not visible...

I checked with the software... It is new only obtained form - elmerfem-trunk-svn4542-2010-08-12.tar. The same issue I am facing with Win XP. I am confident that MAC might not be the problem.

Attached is the screenshot of my elmer.
Cheerz
Hilaal
Attachments
My_elmer_screenshot.png
(142.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

if you have access to a Windoze machine, you should get the latest binary and see if you can reproduce the problem there. AFAIR, the mesh import was improved in ElmerGUI some time ago.
I cannot say anything to your stl issue. For me, your .msh file opened without problems on a rather recent ElmerGUI under Windoze XP.

Matthias
Hilaal_leo

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Hi Maththias

thanks. i tried with my windows xp and the result was the same. I think I am missing something in the installation. Do u think I need to use tetlib plug - in which can read .msh or smesh files? The reason I am asking this question is, if you see my previous post that shows my screenshot. Here elmergrid and nglib are enabled. The files formats related to these two are opening well without any problem. The tetlib is disabled in my elmerGUI software and tetlib recognizes .msh or .smash files which are not opening in my systems (both in mac & windows xp).

I think tetlib is enabled in your software.. AmI right? If so I will have to do something to enable tetlib.

Plz reply so that I can act upon it

Regards
Hilaal
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Hilaal, ElmerGrid plugin handles the .msh import. -Peter
Hilaal_leo

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Hi Peter

Oh.OK. If elmer grid handles .msh, I need to re-look into the work from the beginning.

Regards
Hilaal
Hilaal_leo

Post by Hilaal_leo »

Hi Peter / Maththias

I re-did everything. Now it works well in Windows XP, nut not in MAC OX (LION). For a time being, I can manage with Win XP. Thanks for your timely co-operations and great assistance.

Will appreciate if you can find solution for MAC OS also.
Thanks again...
Best
Hilaal