Eletric induction motor

Elmer cases by the users for the users
e-felipeck
Antispam: Yes

Eletric induction motor

Post by e-felipeck »

Dear All,

I am new to using Elmer FEM. I have created a python code to generate meshes based on a mesh example from the Gmsh simple geo examples of an electric motor, the “machine.geo” file. Currently, I am attempting to solve heat distribution in the 2D mesh.

Ideally, I would like to configure a multi-physics model to account for the electrical losses. However, at the moment, I am stuck as I am unsure how to set up an initial transient heat diffusion problem.

Could someone please take a look at my boundaries? I am not certain if I have correctly set the periodic boundary conditions for the 1/4 section of the motor. Additionally, I am unsure how to fix a value for the convection in the air gap between the rotor and stator, should i turn on the convection at the heat equation ?

I have also noticed that the body force for heat generation doesn’t show any results, regardless of the value I input. However, the outside convection boundary seems to work correctly.

I understand that I should have more defined conditions, but to start with, any physically consistent model would suffice.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Files on the attachments.
Attachments
malha_py.msh
(841.74 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
malha_py.geo
(15.12 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
case.sif
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by e-felipeck on 23 May 2024, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
kevinarden

Re: Eletric induction motor

Post by kevinarden »

This forum "Contributed Cases" is to share resolved and solved problems.

There has been frequently the need to share Elmer cases among the users. This forum called "Contributed Cases" might provide a simple way for sharing the cases.

To maximize the benefits of the forum the following guidelines could be followed:

Give the case an illustrative topic
Only put here resolved cases, not ones that you have problems with. Also new solver modules are welcome.

We encourage everybody to share their cases. It gives a good opportunity to help others, and also to get feedback on the chosen modeling approach.

Problems are posted in the other forums, this would fall under ElmerSolver.

best examples of electric motors are

https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmer-elmag

Best approach is to crawl, walk, run. Start simple model with one solver, add additional physics as you get one to work.
e-felipeck

Re: Eletric induction motor

Post by e-felipeck »

Understood, if you want to subtract my post I can post again in elmer solver.