Elmer for high-frequency circuits in MHz to GHz

General discussion about Elmer
TommyA
Antispam: Yes

Elmer for high-frequency circuits in MHz to GHz

Post by TommyA »

Hi,

I'm an engineer working at a company dealing with electronics and stuff.
As the company planing to start a new R&D project, I'm currently looking for a way to simulate high frequency circuits (typically in a few GHz region, like antennas and microstrip line, etc.) or any arbitrarily high-frequency electromagnetic problem. I have been playing around with Elmer for a couple of months now. It'd be great if I can discuss possibility to use Elmer for this purpose. I didn't see much post about high frequency stuff so far.

In my understanding, the only solvers that can deal with high-frequecy electromagnetic schemes are EMWaveSolver and VectorHelmHoltzSolver. But in some cases potential formulations (such as T-Ω or A-Φ) are useful because;
  • a source can be set in boundary conditions through potential variables, and
  • it gives a complete information to compute E or H fields from.
A-Φ formulation in WhitneyAVSolver has great capability but it ignores the displacement current from what I understand by looking at equation (18-6) or (18-11) here. https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... Manual.pdf

So here's my points:
  • Is there any plan to implement a solver for such a purpose or extend WhitneyAVSolver to include the displacement current? Or EMWaveSolver and VectorHelmHoltz are enough for this purpose?
  • If any of you ever had a similar thought, your opinion or advise or any suggestion is much appreciated.
My knowledge is limited, so please correct me if my understanding is not right.

Thank you so much,

Tom.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Elmer for high-frequency circuits in MHz to GHz

Post by raback »

Hi Tom,

I'm happy to inform that Juha added some additional terms with respect to time to the AV solver as well. They are probably lacking in documentation as this really is quite fresh stuff. See,
AVeq.PNG
(55.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The consistency tests relating to this "electrodynamics model" are:

Code: Select all

elmeruser@elmeruser-VirtualBox:~/elmerfem/fem/tests$ grep electrodynamics -ri
mgdyn_wave_harmonic/case.sif:  Electrodynamics Model = Logical True
mgdyn_wave_eigen/case.sif:  Electrodynamics Model = Logical True
mgdyn_wave_td/case.sif:  Electrodynamics Model = Logical True
In fact, the stuff you did for the eigenmode solution would not have been possible prior to these changes.

-Peter
TommyA

Re: Elmer for high-frequency circuits in MHz to GHz

Post by TommyA »

Hi, Peter.
This really is a great news to me. Thank you!
I will leave this topic open for people to discuss RF stuff.
Tom.