Parallel Mesh Causing Error

The graphical user interface of Elmer
willsprocket
Antispam: Yes

Re: Parallel Mesh Causing Error

Post by willsprocket »

Rich,

You are getting different errors than I am. Perhaps you have spaces in the directory name.

I receive the error when trying to view the results in ElmerGUI after the successful completion of ElmerSolver on a parallel run. Chapter 8 settings (the default in ElmerGUI) don't work (gives the error "Unable to start EmlerGrid for mesh unification" when attempting to view the results using ElmerGUI - clicking ElmerPost or Start ElmerVTK), Chapter 7 settings do work.

Will

P.S. Dumb question: Where do I find the keywords/syntax for ParticleDynamics that should be used in the SIF. Is it chapter 35 of https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... Manual.pdf? And this is what be used to write the XML?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

It does not seem that ElmerGUI should be starting ElmerGrid for unification since ElmerSolver would have already done that in the solve. It should just start Paraview. When you run parallel, try turning parallel off before starting Paraview from ElmerGUI.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

When the world was still young there was a software called ElmerPost used for visualization. Eventually we saw that it was better to start supporting the superior VTK based visualization tools, i.e. mainly Paraview. Now for some time the minimal visualization tools build in ElmerGUI still used internally ElmerPost format. This made little sense after ElmerPost was decleared dead. So the great ElmerGUI developer, saeki, replaced the ElmerPost format with VTU format for the ElmerVTK tool. I think it is this commit makes the change:

Code: Select all

commit 5f57fe31004c0c5035c49e18241e97c9208ba327
Author: t7saeki <53612710+t7saeki@users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Sun Apr 12 18:12:19 2020 +0900

.vtu file to ElmerVTK postprocessor

Preliminary implementation for single vtu file.
After this you don't need to merge any .ep files as the .vtu file format is already parallel. You just need to open the wrapper file .pvtu file in Paraview. If you try to join nonexisting .ep files you probably will run into trouble.

-Peter
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

I reran the example 'parallel-cli-zip' from the previous post, and increased the output from 5 to 32.

Run the case using in the included batch file, 'run.bat', contents are:
elmergrid 1 2 step -autoclean > elmergridoutput.txt
elmergrid 2 2 step -partdual -metiskway 4 > elmergridpartition.txt
mpiexec -n 4 ElmerSolver_mpi case.sif > elmersolverlog.txt
Elmersolver emits the following error message:
VtuOutputSolver: Writing the pvtu file: step/case_t0001.pvtu
WritePvtuFile: Number of active partitions is 4 (out of 4)
WritePvtuFile: List of active partitions was composed

job aborted:
[ranks] message

[0] process exited without calling finalize

[1-3] terminated

---- error analysis -----

[0] on DESKTOP-D6N8F4T
ElmerSolver_mpi ended prematurely and may have crashed. exit code 3

---- error analysis -----
Four output files are generated, and loading 'case_t0001.pvtu' in Paraview gives these error messages:
ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\XMLParser\vtkXMLParser.cxx, line 379
vtkXMLDataParser (000001FFB6AC0A90): Error parsing XML in stream at line 8, column 0, byte index 377: no element found

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\XML\vtkXMLReader.cxx, line 520
vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader (000001FFABBEDC80): Error parsing input file. ReadXMLInformation aborting.
Please take a look at the attached archive.

Thanks, Rich.

Edit: The above error occurred with the Windows installer dated 2022-06-03. Downloading and installing the 2022-06-20 version fixed the issue, and the test case runs properly now. Sorry for the false alarm.
Attachments
parallel-cli-32.zip
(486.9 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by Rich_B on 21 Jun 2022, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
willsprocket

Post by willsprocket »

kevinarden wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:32 It does not seem that ElmerGUI should be starting ElmerGrid for unification since ElmerSolver would have already done that in the solve. It should just start Paraview. When you run parallel, try turning parallel off before starting Paraview from ElmerGUI.
Thanks, that fixed the error. I assume that this is a bug.