salomeToElmer - export Salome mesh to Elmer

Discussion about coding and new developments
panosvar
Antispam: Yes

Re: salomeToElmer - export Salome mesh to Elmer

Post by panosvar »

Yes, I get that too. Does it mean that if I call each boundary/body with these names in the sif file it will normally work?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

That i have never tried or tested.
panosvar

Post by panosvar »

Do you know what happens if we don't assign a BC in a boundary? I've read somewhere that it behaves as hard wall (with Wave Flux 1 = 0), is that true?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I believe it varies for every solver or ElmerModel in the model manual. I think in general if nothing is assigned to a boundary, then nothing happens or is transferred through (either into or out of the mesh) at that boundary. This will have different effect in every solver. For example in a heat transfer analyses no heat transfer across the boundary is equivalent to symmetric boundary condition. In solid mechanics no definition at a boundary means it is free to move/defect.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi,

In FEM the "do nothing" BC or the "natural" BC depends indeed on the equation. When a weak form of the PDE is written a boundary integral term appears (Neumann BC). If this is not modeled it is zero. The boundary integral is typically some kind of flux (heat flux, electric current, normal force, etc.).

-Peter