Antispam: Yes

Loading project in GUI via terminal commands

Post by asandip »

Hello,

I am looking to do the following via the terminal -

1. Open ElmerGUI
2. Load project
3. Start ElmerSolver and complete the analysis

I have been able to complete step 1, by typing ElmerGUI in the terminal window. But have not been able to load project in ElmerGUI via terminal. How should I go about this?

Thank you.
Anjali
kevinarden

Re: Loading project in GUI via terminal commands

Post by kevinarden »

Load project requires an existing project to load. Are you trying to load an existing project?
asandip

Post by asandip »

Yes, I am trying to load an existing project. I have all the files in the folder.

The goal is to be able to run Elmer using a .sh script (or terminal). I was able to open the file using the ,sh script ,
cd /home/caelinux/Glass
ElmerSolver case.sif

but here's the error I get -
MAIN: Time: 1/10 1.0000000000000000
MAIN: -------------------------------------
MAIN:
ERROR:: NormalVector: Invalid dimension for determining normal!
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_DENORMAL

When I run the same sif file after loading the project in ElmerGUI, it completes the analysis (no errors).
Attachments
case.sif
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The error means that it can't calculate the normal vector for the shell elements which may be a mesh issue. I would have to see the files in the directory. The case.sif looks OK.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

if the project is already set up and saved in the GUI, a simple

ElmerSolver

on the command line, after a cd to the project directory, runs the solver. No need to open the GUI.

Remark: you have posted the question concerning the error you get a second time: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6667
Please don't post the same question twice, thank you.

Matthias
mika

Post by mika »

Hi,

It seems that somehow the erroneous case makes the code to call a function (NormalVector) with a three-dimensional element, but with the available information it is hard to guess how this happens. The solver of the shell equations should have only 2-D elements (quads or triangles). The executable may also run differently depending whether the mesh directory contains a file mesh.director or not.

-- Mika
asandip

Post by asandip »

Matthias - I apologize for posting twice. There were different questions, but I realized after posting that they were referring to the same issue.

Mika - I was able to resolve the problem. The issue was that in the GUI, I had to load the project and then edit the .sif file to get the results that I was looking for. I now have created a project were the editing the .sif file step is no longer needed. This project went through the terminal.

Thank you both for your suggestions!