Elmer Challenge

The graphical user interface of Elmer
kevinarden
Antispam: Yes

Re: Elmer Challenge

Post by kevinarden »

I use Salome to create meshes, very nice powerful tool. Export a unv file which Elmer will import. gmesh will do multiple bodies if you create multiple surfaces and assign a unique material id to each surface.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

UNDstudent

Post by UNDstudent »

Kevin

I'm guessing your able to define the internal row of elements as a separate body within the mesh rather than defining these areas as faces within the geometry? I've got a small amount of experience with Salome. I initially started out using Salome at the beginning stages of the project to create .unv files to load into Elmer. Since the meshes/loading for the rectangular plate analysis was fairly simple, I resorted to modifying .grd files that I found within the sample folder to create meshes. Would you consider sharing your .hdf file for the example? I created a 2D face in Salome of the 4 point bending test subject. Created loading faces where the internal row of elements would lay and partitioned them in the geometry. Things get interesting though when I create the mesh based on the partition.
Attachments
4PointMesh.7z
(30.98 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
UNDstudent

Post by UNDstudent »

Plenty of trial and error with Salome. I probably went about it in a round about way but I think I was able to create somewhat of the mesh that I was looking for.
Attachments
Elmer mesh.pdf
(40.78 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Attempt2.7z
(41 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The trick is you have to create groups. The groups get turned into bodies in Elmer.
groups.png
(48.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

UNDstudent

Post by UNDstudent »

Kevin

Thank you. I was under the impression that the groups had to be defined within the geometry as well as the mesh. Such a simple method but I'm still running into issues with Elmer recognizing the groups when I load the .unv file I created based on your example. Attempted the ElmerGrid 8 2 command prompt again but still received the same error message.

Elmer seems to recognize the groups in the much more complicated version that I created with the groups defined in the geometry. But I seem to be running into issues applying the shell solver xml file. I don't think I'm applying the loading correctly. The xml file allowed me to choose bodies to apply pressure as a body force. I placed it on the internal element groups but it seems like it was applied to only one of the loading faces when I checked the results in Paraview. I need to take a step back from Elmer and regroup in the morning. Thanks again for all the insight Kevin, greatly appreciated.
Attachments
case.sif
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
4pointattempt3.unv
(188.25 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

with static solvers you have to have restraint in all 3 directions. Pick 1 edge to restrain in X and Z. And another edge in Y.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

UNDstudent wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 05:47 I was under the impression that the groups had to be defined within the geometry as well as the mesh.
Just in case you didn't find that functionality yet: "Create groups from geometry" in the mesh module does the trick.

HTH,
Matthias
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Could not get GCR to converge to a good solution, so I used the default solver.
4point.png
(65.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
case.sif
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
plate.unv
(116.25 KiB) Downloaded 320 times