General installation information

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
mal
Site Admin

General installation information

Post by mal »

Dear Elmer Users

This forum is dedicated to general discussion about installing Elmer on various platforms. Below are some pointers for installation and compilation:

Installation:
  • Virtual machine based on Ubuntu (or older on Linux Mint) provides the best possible environment with many auxiliary software and
    parallel environment. The virtual machines for Windows are hosted by nic.funet.fi. The 32-bit Ubuntu version under VMPlayer should work under any OS. The password for the virtual machines is "elmerfem". The size of the VM is several Gb so be aware that you absolutely require a fast connection!
  • Windows users can install Elmer by using an automated installer hosted by SourceForge.Net
  • There are also some older version and experimental builds available under nic.funet.fi
  • Some Linux distributions, such as CAELinux or Ubuntu, come with ready compiled packages of Elmer. Unfortunately these tend to be somewhat
    outdated so they are not recommended if you need the fresh features. It is recommended to check the compilation date of the distribution.

Compilation:
  • If you are installing Elmer from source, please have a look at the generic compilation instructions. This gives you the overall idea but might not be the best for a particular platform.
  • Compilation information for various platforms can be found from elmerfem wiki. These instructions are provided by the community and it is difficult to assess how relevant they are.
Note to users of the Virtual Machine: The password "elmerfem" is assumed to be typed with a keyboard with standard qwerty layout (Finnish, English, German,...). A notable exception here is the French keyboard where the letter "m" is located differently.

Note to users of Windows installer: Your account should be equipped with administrator privileges when running the installer. If your setup is really old you may also have to download and install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package from MS Download Center.

Edit: updated some information and added additional pointers, 26.9.2013 / Peter

Best regards,
ElmerTeam
Nick Name
Antispam: Yes

Re: General installation information

Post by Nick Name »

I followed all instructions but after downloading elmer last version from source forge and the VC recommended I still do not have an application file to start the program.
I make somewhere an error I am not aware of.
I would appreciate to have a detailed listing of the operations to be done in order to obtain a full active "elmer" so that when choosing a file it will start.
I am not a programmer only a user accustomed to other FEA soft and I am really interested to start and use ELMER because of its roader spectrum.
Thanking in advance
Nick Name
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

It may be that the installer does not have rights to add all the definitions. If you install as admin you should be able to get those right too. Or you could add the path definitions and icons manually if you don't have the rights.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

Windows binaries for recent versions and nightly builds can now be found here: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... n/windows/

Matthias
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

as this has been asked several times, I place here short instructions on how to install Elmer including ElmerGUI under Linux Ubuntu and Mint:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:elmer-csc-ubuntu/elmer-csc-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install elmerfem-csc-eg
Having done that, you will get updates automatically with the Ubuntu/Mint update mechanism, so you always have a fresh Elmer.

Matthias
chouonrow

Post by chouonrow »

mzenker wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 12:23 Hi,

Windows binaries for recent versions and nightly builds can now be found here: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... n/windows/

Matthias
Hi! Are updates always available for the windows version?. Thank you!
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hmmm...
The latest nightly build for Windows is 2 months old. The latest Linux version on Launchpad is from yesterday.
@Elmer team:
* Is the nightly build mechanism for Windows active at the moment?
* The pointer to the Windows binaries on https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer/binaries is outdated, it still points to sourceforge. This would deserve an update... ;)

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Matthias

I had a look at our Windows compilation process and was able to at least get fresh .exe installers. The setup start to be somewhat outdated. Hope this helps. The installers are based on todays devel branch.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Thank you!
It seems the Windows nightly build is working again since your intervention - last build is from yesterday. :)

Matthias
oxi

Binaries: use of libhypre 2.15 allowable?

Post by oxi »

Good Morning!

Other Debian users and me have the problem that installation from source if fine generally but ElmerGUI is a problem (because of Qt4 is required which I found impossible to install when you have Qt5 installed, which is the default for Debian testing). So, going for the Ubuntu binaries seems good but is also not possible due to libhypre 2.13 is strictly required which is not in Debian (2.11 is and 2.15.1 also but nothing in between). Trying to install it from Ubuntu leads to dependency problems.

Would it be possible to allow for the use of higher version of libhypre also, like libhypre-2.15.1? It seems like that would allow Debian users to install the Ubuntu binaries also.

Thanks for considering and the great program!

Harald