Simulate a transformer

General discussion about Elmer
activ25
Antispam: Yes

Simulate a transformer

Post by activ25 »

Hi,

I need to simulate a 3d transformer with several coils, in alternative voltage, and I would like to know if Elmer can do that, I think it is possible but I would like to be sure. I need to measure the power, active, reactive, the inductance and place a charge in the output, a resistor for example. Is it possible ? I tried to find an example but maybe I didn't write the good words. Even a simple transformer example would be good just to understand how to create the charge and what I need to use.

I'm downloading Salome and I hope it is not difficult to create the geometry but it seems it is a good solution.

Have a good day
raback
Site Admin

Re: Simulate a transformer

Post by raback »

Hi,

Indeed, Elmer has been used with success to model complex 3D transformers. See for example,

Takala et al., "Parallel Simulations of Inductive Components with Elmer Finite-Element Software in Cluster Environments"
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 16.1151616

Much of this work has been industry-driven and therefore there hasn't been much insentive to propagate this knowhow in form of tutorials. However, all the code for simulation of transformers is published under open source. Also there are plenty of test cases, usually starting with "mgdyn_" that perform different aspects of the simulation (and might include simple transformers as well). Ultimately you have to know both the transformers and Elmer pretty well to take full use of the code. I personally only now the latter...

-Peter
activ25

Post by activ25 »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, happy to know that Elmer can reply to my needs, I was afraid that it was just in testing phase. But where are the simple cases with a simple transformer ? Have you a link ? When I search on google, I don't find any example but maybe I don't write the good words "elmer example transformer".

Regards
Ludovic
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Ludovic

The consistency tests are here:
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... /fem/tests

Also look at Models Manual for the relevant physical modules.

-Peter
activ25

Post by activ25 »

Hi Peter,

Many thanks !!!

Regards
Ludovic