Visit and VTK

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
kanuk

Visit and VTK

Post by kanuk »

Hello all,

I'm very excited to use the Elmer package, particularly since it is a free, open source alternative to other FEM packages. As a beginner, I am going through the tutorials, and would like to use VISIT as a visualization tool, since (correct me if I'm wrong) it offers more in terms of versatility than ElmerPost.

In particular, I am interested in FSI, so going through the FluidStructureBeam tutorial has been very helpful. However, I would like to view the deformed mesh at each time step, which is why I am interested in outputting in .vtk format and visualizing with VISIT.

The problem I have is this: When I output the solution as a .vtk file, things work perfectly with the ElasticBeam tutorial, but with FSI, VISIT cannot read the file. Looking at the .vtk output itself, I can't tell where the problem is (things look good)... has anyone had any problems with fsi problems and .vtk output? Or can anyone give me some kind of tip?? I have the same .sif file as in the tutorial (see http://web.mit.edu/elmer_v5.3/tutorials ... am/fsi.sif) except the following:

Solver 4
Equation = Result Output
Procedure = "ResultOutputSolve" "ResultOutputSolver"
Output File Name = soln
Output Format = Vtk
End

I would really appreciate any help.

EDIT: This is not a problem with VISIT, rather with the writing of the vtk file. I downloaded paraview and opened the .vtk files, only to get the following error message:

ERROR: In /build/buildd/paraview-3.4.0/VTK/IO/vtkUnstructuredGridReader.cxx, line 319
vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0xaf583c0): Number of cells don't match!

Back to the drawing board...
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Visit and VTK

Post by raback »

Hi

Perhaps you could try also the vtu format. It might not have this defect. We'll have a look at this after the holidays.

In ElmerPost you could try the following to see the deformed shape:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=175&p=567&hilit=math+nodes#p567

-Peter
kanuk

shells?

Post by kanuk »

Thanks for your reply, peter.

I also have one more question, maybe unrelated to the topic of the post: what is the status of the reissner mindlin 3D shell solver? I see only a 2D plate application in the tutorials and models manual.

Cheers,
Dave
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Visit and VTK

Post by raback »

Hi, There is a shell solver featured in tests/shell and tests/shell2. It had no GUI and no documentation, but it can still be used. -Peter