Error Messages when loading GUI

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Jake
Antispam: Yes

Error Messages when loading GUI

Post by Jake »

Hi all,

I am getting three error messages when I load the Elmer GUI. It still loads up, but do you have nay idea where these are coming from, or if they are a problem?

Initialization file does not exist.

Material library does not exist.

Definitions file does not exist.

Would this explain why my non-interactive solver won't run without an error message?

I keep getting this message:

ERROR:: InitializeElementDescriptions: elements.def not found

Thank you!

Jake
kataja

Re: Error Messages when loading GUI

Post by kataja »

Hi!

Try setting the environment variable ELMER_HOME point to directory where elmer is installed. For example if you have installed elmer in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer", then ElmerSolver should be under "c:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer\bin" and ELMER_HOME should be "c:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer".

Hope this helps!

-Juhani
Jake

Post by Jake »

Juhani,

Thanks for your response! I assured that the ELMER_HOME variable was set to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 8.0-Release

I didn't have an ElmerSolver variable listed, so I made a new ElmerSolver variable and set it to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 8.0-Release\bin

Still no dice. Same messages and error :/

Jake
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

in my Elmer 7 installation (Windoze 7), I have ELMER_HOME as system variable, pointing to the Elmer installation directory, and %ELMER_HOME%\bin and %ELMER_HOME%\lib in my Path System variable. I don't know if this has changed in Elmer 8.
You don't need a variable called ElmerSolver. You just need to make sure that the elmersolver.exe file resides in %ELMER_HOME%\bin.

HTH,

Matthias
wing

Post by wing »

I had the same ERROR:: InitializeElementDescriptions: elements.def not found problem recently and I confirmed that set ELMER_HOME to installation directory ($HOME/Apps/elmer in my case) solved the problem.

P.S. UBUNTU 16.04 64 bit, Elmersolver git Version: 8.2 (Rev: a095b95, Compiled: 2016-04-23)
and elmer launch script as below:

#!/bin/bash
export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/Apps/elmer
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/Apps/vtk/lib:$HOME/Apps/elmer/lib/ElmerGUI/ngcore:$HOME/Apps/elmer/lib/elmersolver
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/Apps/vtk/bin:$HOME/Apps/elmer/bin
$HOME/Apps/elmer/bin/ElmerGUI

hope this helps.
kataja

Post by kataja »

Hi!

Apparently ElmerGUI uses variable ELMERGUI_HOME and it should point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 8.0-Release\share\ElmerGUI".

-Juhani
vchuman

Post by vchuman »

Hello everyone,

I am getting the same problem: I downloaded the latest version from SourceForge (I am assuming it is the 9.0, as it is not visible from sourceforge). I chose the MPI AMD64 zip file. I downloaded it and set all the environment variables as indicated in the documentation, i.e.:

ELMER_HOME = C:\ElmerFEM-gui-nompi-Windows-AMD64
ELMERGUI_HOME = %ELMER_HOME%\share\ElmerGUI
ELMER_LIB = %ELMER_HOME%\share\elmersolver\lib
PATH = %PATH%;%ELMER_HOME%\bin;%ELMER_HOME%\lib

I am working on Windows 10.

When I open elmer GUI, it prompts that there is no definitions file to be found, no materials file, etc. (the same as in the first entry of this thread). However, if I erase of the environment variables, the GUI runs, I am able to access the definitions and materials from the GUI. However, the Solver does not run from the GUI, which I assume is because I actually did not define that variable.

Do you have any advice on how to get the package to run?

Thanks in advance!
Rich_B

Post by Rich_B »

Hello,

Have you tried using the Windows installer from here:

https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... n/windows/

The Windows installer will set the environment variables for you.

Rich.
vchuman

Post by vchuman »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the very prompt answer.

Indeed, with the files from https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... n/windows/ elmer is loading without problem. I was able to start and run the program with no installation (using the .zip files) by setting the environment variables as indicated in the readme file.

Side note (in case someone else finds it helpful): I am running elmer at a work computer where I am not allowed to install every third-party program. This is the reason why I used the .zip file. I noticed that when running the mpi version, the GUI was not starting the solver but there was no error being shown either. I figured out that it had to do with the MS MPI not being installed in my computer, and as I am not allowed to install it anyway, I just tried the nompi version of elmer. With the nompi version of elmer, and some manual corrections to the automatically generated sif file, the solver was able to start and run successfully.

Regards,

Victor