Elmer on Windows

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
havsula
Antispam: Yes

Elmer on Windows

Post by havsula »

Hello
I am planning to start using Elemer on Windows. But what is best way to use Elemer on Windows.
Which free cad tool should I use to make drawings to import into Elemer?
mzenker

Re: Elmer on Windows

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

there is a Windoze installer for Elmer.
You can use FreeCAD and gmsh for drawing and meshing, or Salomé for both. It's mostly a question of taste.

HTH,

Matthias
havsula

Post by havsula »

It would have been really nice if Elmer included a simple cad tool (like Lisa which is a very cheap fem package) so that I do not need to make the drawing in another tool. I always prefer to do everything in the same program. But Elmer is free so I should not complain :D
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

the Elmer team is not so big so they cannot do everything. They concentrate mostly on the solver which is rather powerful. For the rest, there are other tools made by other developper teams specialized in their area.
To complete the toolchain, you need a postprocessing tool. There you have the choice between ElmerPost (still working but not actively maintained), ParaView, VisIt (both for vtk output format, just change the extension of the post file to .vtu in the simulation section of the sif file) and gmsh.

Matthias
havsula

Post by havsula »

Do it exist any tutoril from drawing to postproc with Elmer?
I will try paraview since I have used i a little before.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Not really. The Elmer tutorials focus mostly on the FEM setup and solving, and do not show the use of external tools. They are a good starting point nevertheless. There is a lot of info spread around in the forum, including pre- and postprocessing topics, especially under "external tools".
Also the Elmer documentation, although not complete, does provide enough information to get very far in Elmer usage.

HTH,

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

There is some info about postprocessing in some slides:
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... 14October/

-Peter