ElmerSolver error, Ubuntu 14.10

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
stevemi
Antispam: Yes

ElmerSolver error, Ubuntu 14.10

Post by stevemi »

Tried the magnetodynamics example using ElmerGUI, but got the following error when attempting to run the solver: ERROR:: InitializeElementDescriptions: elements.def not found
elements.def is located at /usr/local/share/elmersolver/lib/elements.def. Tried to add this to my .bashrc file, but no change.
Any suggestions?
kataja

Re: ElmerSolver error, Ubuntu 14.10

Post by kataja »

Hi!

Do you get the same error just by running ElmerSolver (or ElmerSolver_mpi) from the command line?

Make sure that the cmake variable ELMER_SOLVER_HOME points to $ELMER_HOME/share/elmersolver. By default it points to $CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/elmersolver, but if you change the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable within cmake-gui the ELMER_SOLVER_HOME variable will not get updated automatically.

If you don't want to recompile, create an environment variable ELMER_HOME that points to prefix path of your Elmer installation, e.g.

Code: Select all

$ ELMER_HOME=/home/bob/opt/Elmer /home/bob/opt/Elmer/bin/ElmerGUI
Have you tried if apt-get installation works for you? (Here)

Cheers,
Juhani
stevemi

Post by stevemi »

Juhani: Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing works so far, no doubt due to my incomplete understanding of the problem. I'll try to summarize my situation as follows:
* As stated previously, the only problem seems to be a file location incompatibility. I get the same error even when running the solver from the command line.
* I'd rather not try a new installation from, say, apt-get, since it looks OK except for the stated problem. I will re-compile however, if necessary.
* There is no "Elmer" directory or installation, only ElmerGUI, ElmerSolver etc. All are located at /usr/local/bin.
* The location of the elements.def file is as stated previously.
* I've tried every environment variable I can think of, including removing all such variables, but there's no effect.
* The GUI runs regardless of whether or not any environment variables exist, with the same results.
* FYI, the way I compiled this package, it only runs correctly if I use "sudo", but looks OK.
At present I'm at an impasse; not being a programmer or developer, I'm not sure what to do next.
Again, thanks for your help.
Stevemi
kataja

Post by kataja »

Thats odd. The solver should in your case find the elements.def file. If the binaries ElmerSolver, ElmerGUI, etc.. reside in /usr/local/bin then ELMER_HOME variable should point to /usr/local. Furthermore, make sure you have not defined ELMER_LIB environment variable. The following tricks might work for you.

See if there are any dangling elmer-related environment variables and unset ELMER_LIB at least.

$ env|grep ELMER
$ unset ELMER_LIB
Then set the ELMER_HOME and launch ElmerSolver or ElmerGUI:

$ ElmerSolver
or
$ ElmerGUI
If that doesn't work, try setting the ELMER_HOME variable manually

$ export ELMER_HOME=/usr/local
$ ElmerSolver
or
$ ElmerGUI
-Juhani
stevemi

Post by stevemi »

Juhani: Tried all that you indicated, no change. FYI, have attached an ElmerGUI.log file. Also tried ElmerSolver; as previously, it stops immediately and reports the error.
stevemi
Attachments
ElmerGUI.log
(5.43 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Stevemi,
It seems that your computer doesnot have the tetgen functionality.
Since, you are using Ubuntu 14.10, you need to install many dependencies on your own before you install a software. Many softwares are developed upon traditional tool-kits and updated OS generally are switching towards lighter and newly developed toolkits. So, a newer version of OS may not have many traditional toolkits in its default installation. So, for now, please search for measure that ensures Elmer is built up with tetgen.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
stevemi

Post by stevemi »

Anil: Verified that Elmer was in fact compiled with tetgen; repeated this exercise just to be sure. Apparently, Elmer can't seem to find it.
* tetgen header: /home/sbmiller/elmer/elmerfem/ElmerGUI/Application/plugins/tetgen.h
* tetgen binary: /usr/bin/tetgen
* All other tetgen files: /home/sbmiller/elmer/elmerfem/misc/
stevemi
stevemi

Post by stevemi »

annier: Following a good ElmerGUI install per my latest attempt, the solver works OK, despite the inability to find tetgen, which I really don't need. Examples in the tutorial now run as advertised.
Thanks,
stevemi
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Stevemi,
I applaud your perseverance in learning new ideas in computer interface. I am inspired with your sheer determination to complete the installation process of Elmer software with enormous patience. I think you can help in mutual learning of innovative ideas evolving with the development of Elmer software. Keep it up.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Daniel_25

Post by Daniel_25 »

Hi stevemi:

I have had the same error and I can repair thanks to you, because you said that you had used the comand sudo. Then I undestand that the problem is related with permission about the Elmer’s archives. Then only I searched what archives of Elmer don’t have this permission with comand ls -l. I found that when you save project, the archives generated dind’t have permission of execution. Therefore I gave this permision with comand chmod 777 *, the comand explains well here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BgRD246cXY , I put 3 sevens for avoid more problems. After, when I turn on the computer again don’t have the problem. If the problem persists, you search another archives of Elmer and gave permision. I solved the problem with this form.

Yours
Daniel