Salome to Elmer problem

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Salome to Elmer problem

Post by raback »

Hi, you're doing nothing wrong. The mouse select tool in ElmerGUI just doesn't make any difference between the objects. Of course it could but it doesn't. So you have to pick the correct objects yourself. -Peter
Alth

Post by Alth »

Hi,
i have a similar problem. I want to make a Flow and Heat simulation based on Tutorial 7: Thermal flow in curved pipe, from Elmer Tutorials (CSC – IT Center for Science, August 13, 2010).

1. I used SolidWorks 2010 for creating a model. I exported it to *.stp file (model was CSG and contains only solids elements, but not merged):

2. I used Salome-Meca to divide it to solids parts (fluid and pipe) for Mesh Groups, based on this tutorial: Multiple bodies from Salome to Elmer. I created one partition group which contains fluid and pipe geometry.

3. To get the native elmer mesh format, I convert the mesh using ElmerGrid:

Code: Select all

ElmerGrid 8 2 Partition_1_volumes_mesh.unv -autoclean
4. When I load this mesh (Loading mesh option) into Elmer I have only one body, named: Body 1. The problem is, that i should have 2 bodies for different equations for fluid and pipe. In fact, when I hide top layer of pipe (Ctrl + H) there is shape and mesh grid of fluid. So the question is - how to divide it to 2 bodies - for different equation?

Perhaps I should make 2 partition groups in Salome, one for fluid and second for pipe and then group them once more? I have no idea what should i do.

Thanks for any advice!
Alth
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Alth

Post by Alth »

Ive already seen it, as I described in point 2.

Code: Select all

2. I used Salome-Meca to divide it to solids parts (fluid and pipe) for Mesh Groups, based on this tutorial: [url=http://www.elmerfem.org/wiki/index.php/Multiple_bodies_from_Salome_to_Elmer]Multiple bodies from Salome to Elmer[/url]. I created one partition group which contains fluid and pipe geometry.
Any other idea?

Alth
Alth

Post by Alth »

Ive solved this problem. Just after using partition tool export model to *.brep format. Then use Netgen (native Elmer format is supported). Such gird have 2 bodies for different equations such as pipe and fluid.I dont know why Salome meshing module stick bodies together.