Interface problem in Mac

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
chengran.du

Interface problem in Mac

Post by chengran.du »

I am a green hand of Emler and now face some problems with interface as well as system. Quite frustrated now..... :cry:

1. I installed Emler 6.0 in my windows XP successfully. However, I could not launch it. Every time I click EmlerGUI it shows the welcome icon and then my debugger in Visual studio is activated automatically so that Emler can not be started at all. What is wrong? I updated the c++ distributor already according to the instruction.

2. I installed Elmer in iMac (Mac os x 10.5.8 Interl core 2 duo with 2GB ram) and it runs. However, the system become very slow. I have not such experience that a software will slow my machine that much. Is it normal?

3. I create a *.msh in Gmesh as attachment "abc.msh" but I can not open it in elmer at all. What is wrong? Can you read it?

4. I create a geometry in Autodesk Inventor 2009 and saved it as "part1.iges". However, elmer does not read it as well. Actually, I tried different way to input a geometry into elmer. None of them works.

Could anyone help me with the problems? I appreciate your answer in advance.

Regards!
Chengran
Attachments
Part1.iges
generated in Autodesk inventor
(15.05 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
abc.msh
generated in gmesh
(119 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
legris

Re: Interface problem in Mac

Post by legris »

Hi Chengran,

With regards to your questions:

1 - I run it on xp with no problem. Have you tried the latest binary from the sourcefore website?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/elmerfem/files/

2 - Sorry can't help there, I have not put Elmer on my mac yet

3 - As far as I know, Elmer can't import msh files directly. Had a look at it and you need to convert it first by using the following command
ElmerGrid 14 2 abc.msh -autoclean
Then the mesh opens fine on my computer

4 - Similar as 3 though an extra step is needed, as you would need to mesh it first. I use Salome within which you can import iges files, then mesh it, export it to unv and use
ElmerGrid 8 2 Part1.unv -autoclean
Again, it then opens fine

Hope this helps,

Legris
chengran.du

Post by chengran.du »

Thank you Legris. I will try. By the way, how can i uninstall elmer in windows machine? there is not uninstall icon or it does not in program list.
chengran.du

Post by chengran.du »

legris wrote:Hi Chengran,

With regards to your questions:

1 - I run it on xp with no problem. Have you tried the latest binary from the sourcefore website?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/elmerfem/files/

2 - Sorry can't help there, I have not put Elmer on my mac yet

3 - As far as I know, Elmer can't import msh files directly. Had a look at it and you need to convert it first by using the following command
ElmerGrid 14 2 abc.msh -autoclean
Then the mesh opens fine on my computer

4 - Similar as 3 though an extra step is needed, as you would need to mesh it first. I use Salome within which you can import iges files, then mesh it, export it to unv and use
ElmerGrid 8 2 Part1.unv -autoclean
Again, it then opens fine

Hope this helps,

Legris
I used ElmerGrid to convert the mesh. It worked. However, as I open mesh in elmer. The whole application crashed........... It simply does work properly in Mac I guess.
chengran.du

Post by chengran.du »

I have already installed the newest version. Quite odd.
legris

Post by legris »

Hi Chengran,

As I said, I am not familiar with Mac installs.

The mesh should load though...

If you used the installer, the uninstaller should be in: C:\Elmer6.0

Good luck,

legris
chengran.du

Post by chengran.du »

I might have idea why it does not work on xp. It could be that my graphic card is too old. It is a Radeon 7500........