paraview output to view mesh file

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
mark smith

paraview output to view mesh file

Post by mark smith »

Hi Elmer team
I have used elmergrid to convert a mesh in to elmer format. If I know how many bodies and boundaries there are I could priduce a sif file with just the solver ResultOutputSolve to write out a vtu file so I can find the identies of the bodies and surfaces to use in an elmer simulation. if I dont have enough bodies or BC's in the sif file then I get an errror loadmesh: body id larger than the number of bodies in sif file! which is to be expected. (100's of bodies and 100's of boundaries)
using elmergui with large mesh files causes it to become unresponsive so this isn't an option.
Any suggestions how an elmer mesh could be displayed in paraview?
Rehards
Mrk
mzenker

Re: paraview output to view mesh file

Post by mzenker »

Hi Mark,

I don't know how to display an Elmer mesh in ParaView, but you can do it with gmsh:

Code: Select all

elmergrid 2 4 mymesh
will convert the Elmer mesh files in the directory mymesh to a mesh file mymesh.msh in gmsh format with the body and boundary numbering as Elmer sees it.

@Elmer team: this feature is not documented in the Elmergrid manual... ;)

HTH,

Matthias
mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi Matthias,
Thanks, this indeed does the job but in my case the mesh is so large that GMSH becomes so painfully slow as to be unusable ;-(
Regards
Mark
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Hi Mark

Make a less dense mesh. You can also increase the mesh density by asking mesh multiplication in the simulation section

Code: Select all

Mesh Levels = 2 ! how many times elements are split
-Peter
mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi All
Attached is a zipped test case with geometry created in GiD. Using the gid elmer problem type an elmer mesh is created (the files look correct?), this is converted to paraview using the included VTUcase.sif and also to gmsh using elmergrid as per Matthias's instructions.
In paraview the body ID's and the BC ID's agree with those imposed in GiD but in GMSH the body ID's are correct but the BC ID's are not, so I'm guessing there is something wrong in elmergrid with the gmsh conversion?

Peter, I'm not sure I understand? Before I start running the simulation on my large mesh from Comsol I first want to check that I've got my bodies & BC's correct.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Mark
Attachments
gid2elmer_test.gid.zip
zipped image & info files
(407.36 KiB) Downloaded 454 times